• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seeking advice regarding the removal of bed liner

Brewmover

Loc.
Tulsa
I just purchased my first bronco (77 wagon) and have found several patches to the floor pans that are driving me crazy; therefore, I am going to cut away the old patched pans and install new.The bed and floor pans are covered in bed liner that I would like to remove so that I can better evaluate the condition of the remaining sheet metal. The bed is showing some signs of pitting through the liner so I am especially concerned about the bed.
I have heard that a heat gun and putty knife can do the job, but has anyone had success with other methods? Will paint stripper work, and if so what steps need to be taken to achieve a satisfactory result?

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
Cut a bunch of parallel cuts about 2" apart and get it to start peeling on one end and you can pull the strips one at a time. Works well on every brand liner i know of.

DanHall

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
Wire wheel on grinder and a lot of time is what worked for me. Some places didn't have good adhesion and those went quickly but the rest was time consuming. I wouldn't want to spend that much time with MEK fumes without a good respirator particularly if you are working in a garage.

jbass

I just purchased my first bronco (77 wagon) and have found several patches to the floor pans that are driving me crazy; therefore, I am going to cut away the old patched pans and install new.The bed and floor pans are covered in bed liner that I would like to remove so that I can better evaluate the condition of the remaining sheet metal. The bed is showing some signs of pitting through the liner so I am especially concerned about the bed.

I have heard that a heat gun and putty knife can do the job, but has anyone had success with other methods? Will paint stripper work, and if so what steps need to be taken to achieve a satisfactory result?

This is prob not the best for your bronco's body but try some brake fluid. I had a bottle in the back of my bronco that leaked. It bubbled the bedliner.