• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seeking bronco advice. Input greatly appreciated.

wantabronco

Hello, I'm looking into buying a bronco and there are 2 that are pretty close to where I am (IDAHO)... One is a 76 but has quite a bit of rust. The rust looks like it could be a potential problem. It's bad... It looks like the rockers are completely rusted through and they got a cheap paint job OVER the rust about 5-10 years ago. He wants a little less than 5k for it. This rig has power steering, aluminum wheels, rebuilt c4 trans, 3.5 in lift, power front disc brakes, and 33in tires and aluminum wheels, roll cage.
Here is a link to some pictures:

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh99/anotherboringstory/76 bronco/

I'm also looking at a 74 that looks pretty good - better than the 76, and Its going to be a whole lot easier to negotiate because the seller is 20 min away not 3 hours away...
He's asking 6500 and it's pretty similar besides having much less rust and a decent paint job.
It has a new bikini top, power steering, roll cage, 3 in lift & 33in tires on steel wheels and a roll cage.
Here are the only pictures I have:

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh99/anotherboringstory/74 bronco/

Any advice when looking at these?

Is it very difficult to restore these and remove all of the rust?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

Parker

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Pictures speak louder than words.

Attachments

• Before-After.jpg
    Before-After.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 75

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
$6500 for the one on the right seems only a little high priced but 6500 clams for the one on the left.. Now that would be hard to handle. Rust is a bitch .. If one has rust it needs to be almost free.
... Not really but you get my drift.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
How easy it is depends on your skill level. Can you weld? Do you have prior experience doing this? If the body on the 74 requires much less work then you might come out ahead money wise even with the higher price tag. Having to buy all the panels, and the the equipment to install them can get pricey, so if you have no desire to buy the tools for a one time project then go with the one that's better to start with. If you already have to tools and skills then it shouldn't be that hard.

Having said that, both seem over priced IMO. You're looking at pretty much stock broncos with a lift kit and some wheels. The things that drive a resale price up are new/better motors, trannies, axles, and other upgrades. If none of that has been done you're just paying twice as much for a stock rig than what it cost when it was sold off the lot.

The disc brakes is a nice upgrade, but if you junkyard savvy you can do it yourself fairly cheap if you buy one with drums. Or you van buy a kit from one of our great vendors for a little more $, but it saves some time. My advice is don't jump on the first thing you see, and get one with the least amount of body work required. Body work by far is the cost time consuming and/or expensive thing to do. It also depends on what you want the finished project to be. Do you want a trail rig, daily driver, show quality rig?

Good luck!

OP
OP
W

wantabronco

Thanks for the replies. I'm a bronco fan... I've always wanted one. I'll be driving it down to San Diego and just driving it around the beach for the next few years. I want something in good shape that I don't really need to bring back home to Idaho every summer to do work on. I have buddies with a shop and professional fabricators... We are weekend shop warriors on the side. I'm going to keep the ride for a long time and improve it as time goes along. I don't do a lot of driving down in SD... mostly weekend driving. In five years or so I want it to be extremely clean, look good, run good, and screw around in the foothills back in Idaho a bit.

I'd really like to get one in the next two weeks....

What would you pay for either of these? I mean... if the floorboards on the 76 look like the driver won't Flinestone their foot through them I'll still drive out there to scope it out.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Like I have said before, ya gotta get a little dirty before you pull the trigger on one of these. Granted it is getting much harder to find examples that are rust free.

You should by all means look under the truck at the posts, rockers, floorboards, etc...... Most people cover the outside up but ignore the underside because people don't usually check. Either way good luck and may not be a bad idea to keep looking. ;D

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wantabronco

Thanks guys. I'm going to look at the 74 this evening, I'll post some pictures and see what you guys think. If it checks out I'll take it to my buddy's house and throw it on his lift.

sgtdcoulter

Loc.
Peachtree City Ga.
Definitely projects, the 33x1250-15 are hard to come by, I cut 2 of mine earlier this ye, ar. Maybe go and look at the Ca ones and that way you can enjoy quicker,just my thoughts