• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

separating dana adapter to put on c4 how to save bearings??

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
Hello I have been putting this off but it seems like were ready to go now.. We need to mount the dana 20 to the c4 that already has the adapter piece mounted. I want to save my bearings how do I remove the current adapter piece for the 3 speed without losing my bearings? Thanks alos anyone know where to best locate the reverse and neutral light wiring for the trannywiring??

rekoj71

Take the D20 and put it on it's back with the adapter faceing up. that way when you remove the adapter it will lift out of the hole the roller bearings are in and the bearings will stay in there. Even if they fall out of place they will still stay in the hole that the bearings are supposed to stay in but they may fall over if bumpped.
When it's time to put it back together you can reverse this procedure by putting them together vertically but since that is hard to do I sugest a thick/sticky grease or petroleum jelly to temporarily glue them in place. The jelly will melt off the bearings without harming the gear oil. I had a set fall out and it was easy enough for me to use a magnet to fish them back out with the cover off so all is not lost if it happens.