• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

shackle flip and factory springs

mws eb

Loc.
Forest Hill MD
i'm on a tight budget and won't be able to buy all i want for a year or more, full width, ext. arms, motor needs gone through, and everything else. thinking of getting 3 1/2 coils and doing flip with stock leaves to save some money for now. any reason not to? can i get enough lift to match front? I realize I'll have to raise the spring mount again when I pop for new springs down the road, just looking for some lift and flex for cheap.
Mike

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
SaddleUp has done it. He's a walking freakin encyclopedia of good ideas and tech. Hopefully he'll chime in here with some expertise.

I'm planning on doing it at some point this winter to my rig, but haven't yet. It's going to have to do until I can swing a 4 link setup. ;D

SecondChance

Loc.
Gresham
Did a shackle flip on mine as well. You will want to reinforce the shackle to take the extra stress of the flip. I extended the shackle at the same time, which is the only way you will get 3 1/2 inches out of it. I would get the front springs in first then you can adjust the rear according to the disired look you want in relation to the front. Just remember to check your driveline angle when you achieve desired look. It will need to be rotated back down by either cutting the perches loose or getting wedges for it. Extending the shackle with a flip is the best way I've found to gain flex. SaddleUjp probably has some pic of the flips on both our rigs.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I did a shackle flip, but I would say use some longer springs rather than stock springs. Go with an F-150 leaf or Jeep Wagoneer rear spring. You will gain a much better ride and still keep the axle in the same spot for the exact same amount of work.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Here are a couple of my brothers (SecondChance) before we extended the shackles and one after although it doesn't show the extended shackles. Figure on 2" or so of lift simply by flipping the mount then extend the shackle to get the right height. His has 5 1/2" coils in front. Mine does as well but I run a 3 1/2" rear leaf. Following his are a few of mine.

Hmm. I did find one that shows the extended shackles some on SecondChance's EB which I added.

Attachments

• 70Buildup01.jpg
    70Buildup01.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 70Buildup05.jpg
    70Buildup05.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 128
  • SecondChance09.jpg
    SecondChance09.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 114
  • Crushers44.jpg
    Crushers44.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 142
  • SaddleUp75.jpg
    SaddleUp75.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 174
  • SaddleUp73.jpg
    SaddleUp73.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 205
  • SaddleUp65.jpg
    SaddleUp65.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 162
  • SOB9-96.jpg
    SOB9-96.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 126

honkey84

Loc.
ILL
Just one question. I know you get added height when you do a shackle flip and all but what are the extra benefits???

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
honkey84 said:
Just one question. I know you get added height when you do a shackle flip and all but what are the extra benefits???
The biggest benefit is that it will flex better because the springs have less tension on them when they droop. Having a longer shackle also helps with flex as well since it lets the springs work further before the shackle stops them. The downfall is that the frame sits above the leafs instead of hanging from them so you may notice the rear being a little more loose on the street than it was before. I personally haven't noticed any difference even though I know that there has to be some. I.E. It isn't enough of a difference that I can tell.

BTW, For anyone that decides to do this be sure you rake the shackle back. If you put it straight up and down then it will bend the springs. Raking it back allows more spring droop as well which is where the added flex will come in.

OP
OP
M

mws eb

Loc.
Forest Hill MD
thanks for the replys. forgot about the F 150 and Waggy springs, anybody tried the 63 in. chevys? was figuring on cutting perchs for driveline angle, doesn't someone sell longer perches to help with axle wrap? as far as shackles, is 1/4 in. flat bar good, have some 2 in. and 2 1/2 in. laying around. how long can you make the shackle before you need to brace it in the middle, that affects flex doesn't it?
Mike

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
mws eb said:
thanks for the replys. forgot about the F 150 and Waggy springs, anybody tried the 63 in. chevys? was figuring on cutting perchs for driveline angle, doesn't someone sell longer perches to help with axle wrap? as far as shackles, is 1/4 in. flat bar good, have some 2 in. and 2 1/2 in. laying around. how long can you make the shackle before you need to brace it in the middle, that affects flex doesn't it?
Mike
Mine are 1/4" flat bar that I believe is 1 1/2" wide. The bracing is 1" x 1 1/2" tube. Since the stock shackles are braced I would brace them even if they are no longer than stock. It would effect flex and likely would make it really loose on the street. The ones seen on mine above are loosely based on the same design we used when Warrior Products was nothing more than custom shackles and H**p corners that we made in the back of a 4WD shop.

jr

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
SaddleUp said:
The biggest benefit is that it will flex better because the springs have less tension on them when they droop. Having a longer shackle also helps with flex as well since it lets the springs work further before the shackle stops them. The downfall is that the frame sits above the leafs instead of hanging from them so you may notice the rear being a little more loose on the street than it was before. I personally haven't noticed any difference even though I know that there has to be some. I.E. It isn't enough of a difference that I can tell.

BTW, For anyone that decides to do this be sure you rake the shackle back. If you put it straight up and down then it will bend the springs. Raking it back allows more spring droop as well which is where the added flex will come in.

Saddleup,

What do you mean by "rake the shackle back"? Does that mean to tilt back? You got more pics of your shackle flip?
Would these work? http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
JR - you mean this one:

78-97 Ford Shackle Flip Kit.

Sky's Off-Road is the only company producing a rear shackle flip kit for the Ford vehicles so far. This adds 4.5 inch's of lift. On Bronco based vehicles, no modifications are needed to correct pinion angle if only the flip kit is used. On long wheel base vehicles, using factory blocks, we recommend a 4 inch lift block with a 4 degree taper replace the factory blocks, in reverse of stock. This will correct pinion angle and move the axle slightly rearward.

Tired of the weak torch and turn shackle flip kits. Want something strong and attractive looking? Need it to bolt on? We've covered it all with our bolt on shackle flip kit for the rear shackle on almost any Ford pickup or Bronco with 3" wide rear springs. Moves the shackle forward 1 inch for better ride and angle, bolts to stock location of factory upwards shackle hanger, constructed of 1/4 and 3/8ths steel plate, laser cut and CNC formed.

The Ford shackle reversal bolted in the stock location adds Aprx. 4.5 inch's of lift. Some may prefer to weld on the bracket, depending on location this will add or subtract lift on the principal of an one inch shackle movement adds or subtracts 1/2 inch of lift.

Available only in raw steel! Below is what our customers have to say!

I am writing you today about my complete satisfaction with your Ford Shackle
flip brackets. I have had these on for almost 3 years and 32K miles. They
have been through the worst I could put them through, and just keep on
asking for more. Since installation on my truck I have jumped my truck about
4 times trice at Glamis Sand dunes and once at El Mirage dry lake going
about 75 or so MPH. Not to mention the many miles of towing and "jackrabbit"
starts these have endured. Even the wear I got on my leaf anti-squeak
bushings has seemed to stop. In contrast to the lift blocks I had on there
previously these shackles were a godsend. These units have held up with out
any flexing, cracking or bending that I can see. Your superb engineering is
also apparent in the fact no harm has come to the factory shackle given the
abuse I have given my suspension. They have miraculously not bent twisted or
cracked proving your design is by all meaning of the word, foolproof.

Again installation instructions have been posted to my site, as per our
original deal you have full rights to reprint the instructions. I was
originally sold the brackets at cost on the condition that I created a
install article for you guys.
http://www.froggmann.com/Bronco/Tech/Shackle.htm

Anyways, I hope this testimony will further spark sales of excellent shackle
flip brackets.

Sincerely,
Ken Pauley

Part # FORD-RFK-001
Price - $135.00

Yeah, you could probably make it work, the only downsides being that I don't know if it will line up with the space between the frame and the spring like stock, and it's intended for 3" wide springs, ours are 2-1/2".

Better off just cutting off the stock one carefully, and remounting it.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Joel,
I'll be doing this same thing later using full length axles and moving the perches back for a longer wheelbase on the 77 frame I have. The leaf mounts are all cut out and I think I could gain 2" in the front without having to move the steering box.
You wanna come over and help me when I start this?

madgyver

BTW, I started primer coating your bumper...;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
jr said:
Saddleup,

What do you mean by "rake the shackle back"? Does that mean to tilt back? You got more pics of your shackle flip?
Would these work? http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/
Yes. If you line the shackle up straight then it will quickly bend the spring. If you tilt it forward (at the bottom) you will lose down travel. To clarify: the top of the shackle should be closer to the center pin of the spring than the bottom of it. This means the bottom of the shackle will be raked back toward the rear of the truck. You can probably find more pics of mine posted in my buildup thread below.