• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shakes extremely when taking off.

awspear

I have a 67 half cab. when easing off the clutch, it begins shaking more than just when gas is not given. You have to give it alot of gas to take off. also back wheels almost hop when taking off. my take off is not smooth when letting off clutch.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
An oily or hot spotted clutch/flywheel along with loose motor/tranny mounts and maybe loose leaf springs can cause the heebie-jeebies when letting the clutch out.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
That fits the symptoms of a clutch that has oil on it. Sometimes the rear main seal will leak & some oil gets on the clutch disc, causing it to chatter. Other things could be involved, like bad motor mounts, but in my world it has usually been oil on the clutch. If that is the case, then the clutch disc itself should be replaced, & the pressure plate & flywheel should be cleaned & possibly resurfaced/replaced depending on the condition. And the source of the oil needs to be fixed to keep it from happening again.

My buddies in high school called my 64 Sprint "Shake, Rattle, & Roll" due to this condition.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome
as was said a numeber if things can cause it. I would also say that just a worn out clutch itself will cause the problem as can big tires and poor rear axle gearing.

broncopete78

Loc.
ID
Spend 3 minutes and check your cv-joints first just to be sure. This would be the easiest fix for a similar issue.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Mine was notorious for doing it even with a brand new clutch system. Mine was big tires with stock gearing and worn leafs on blocks with abit of axle wrap.

You need to check all the obvious first right down to bad shocks or loose hardware.