• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shift Lever Roll Pin Help

70HalfCab

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
Putting a stock auto column in my Bronco and am having lots of trouble with the darn roll pin that connects the shift lever to the collar. I got the shift lever in and have the roll pin in through the top and through the hole in the shift arm. Now no matter what I do I can't get the pin the rest of the way into the other side of the collar. Looking with a light I can see it is very slightly out of alignment with the bottom hole but wiggling the shift lever up down side to side etc and I can't for the life of me get it to line up the last tiny fraction of an inch. Now I can't get the darn pin out the way it came either. I'm afraid to hit it any harder with a hammer.

Any tips, tricks or ideas on how to get this roll pin in? Or out for me to start overall.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I think it would help to take the collar off the column to support the area around the pin. Then use a role pin punch that has a little tit that enters the center hole in the pin so it won't slip off.

OP
OP
70HalfCab

70HalfCab

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
Got it fixed. Used a little penetrating oil then went for a little drive and used the shift lever a bunch (the pin was in far enough for good operation). When I got home I checked and was able to flex the hole in alignment then tapped the pin in the rest of the way.