• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shock Jock Location W/shackle Flip

tfgirardi

Loc.
Lakeside, AZ
Hi, I took the time and did some searching, but was unable to find what I was looking for. My bronco suspension is stock in the rear except for an add-a-leaf. I am doing a shackle flip and I'm wondering what will be the best location for my WH shock jock. Do I need to mount it infront of the axle or behind closer to the stock location and why? Any help and pictures will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advaced.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I went forward with mine. It shows them towards the rear on the WH site. Probably doesn't really matter.

you can see in this picture, I have about 4" of up travel until the shock bottoms (tops?) out. I believe I was just fitting things in this picture and now I have the shock mounted to the 2nd hole in the forward direction.

it's kind of a balance. Where you mount it depends on 1) how long your shock is 2) how much up travel you want and 3) how much down travel you want.

mounted straight up and down right above the axle is going to give you the best performance as a shock absorber but the least amount of up travel and the most amount of down travel.

mounted to the front or back will give you a little more up travel but less down travel.

i think thats right anyway.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
286151476_KvSpF-L.jpg

the real question is... why do they call it a shock jock?

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
that reminds me - i need to move my shock jock forward. in this pic you can see even using the forward hole for the shock, the shock would bottom out before my bump stop starts working.

Rockin69er

Is ground clearance the only reason you put the bottom mount so high on the axle tube??

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I could have mounted it anywhere from the 1 o'clock position to maybe the 7 o'clock position.

If I put it lower at the 7 o'clock position I would be stretching the shock down another 1-2 inches which means I lose downtravel.

So I figured 10:30 would work nicely and so far it has. There's probably way more science that goes into shock placement but I just kinda guessed.

Rockin69er

Thanks. Just making sure I cover the bases. I just bought the Shock Jock and this summer will be trying to fit 12" travel Bilstiens.