• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shocks N The Hood from Wild Horses installed

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Installed the hood shocks last night. I really like the result. Works very nice. I had not installed any prop rod and my plan was for hood shocks. Very easy installation. I didn't like the screws in the kit for mounting the hood brackets. I prefer bolts with nuts, so instead drilled 1/4" holes in the steel hood brace and used SS 1/4" bolts with locking nuts. Bolts fit the bracket holes perfect. Other than that change, everything else was quality hardware. Install is very easy, though care must be taken while drilling in the hood. Little tricky getting the nuts started reaching your fingers into the Hood brace hole, but not too bad. I slid a thick piece of plastic into the hood brace hole as a drill bit stop to protect the hood from the drill bit, plus did cut a length of fuel line to slip over the drill bit to limit bit travel.

After much measuring I drilled the holes 1 7/8" from the side edge of the hood to center of the bracket bolt hole. Hood shocks seem lined up nice and don't touch any part of the fender.

Passenger side....
Supports2_zpsjks3hune.jpg

Drivers
Supports1_zpsgwvdejd0.jpg

Bracket at fender driver's side....
Supports3_zpsvcmxlsic.jpg

Bracket at fender passenger side...
Supports4_zpsbpaidxx5.jpg

All done.
Supports8_zpslcse0j9d.jpg

Supports9_zpsi29zprh8.jpg

Last edited:

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Man the truck is looking great! I love the hood shocks. I have put them on all my trucks.
I like your air filter / air intake, where did you get that?

OP
OP
JAFO

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Thanks. Air filter and air intake....Summit racing. Spectre Performance stuff. I wanted something low profile and this stuff gives me such great access to the carb without having to remove the breather. Bought the parts separately (elbow tube, filter cone and part that mounts to the carb). You send Summit Racing your wallet and they send you back those parts (they were pricey). Someone on here was stating something like "you don't need no friggin bling" when I posted a link for someone to the oil pan I bought. The breather must really make them choke. I haven't held back regarding the Bronco. I'm enjoying building it up. Something I wanted to do years ago when I was younger and poorer. I'm in a position now to do this and I'm having some fun with it.

OP
OP
JAFO

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
This stuff ordered from Summitracing built up the air intake stuff. And I had also ordered the threaded rod and wing nut for the carb to hold down the air hat. Oh yeah, and I have a (I think) 1" spacer between the air hat and the carb, so I got the pipe up to the level I wanted so it extends over the valve cover as I wanted. That is the black ring you see under the air hat.

One each...

SPE-9729 4" PIPE
(Review this product) A Delivered: 10/16/2015 10:15:00 AM $23.97
SPE-9736 AIR FILTER
(Review this product) A Delivered: 10/16/2015 10:15:00 AM $30.97
SPE-9771 TUBE COUPLER 4"
(Review this product) A Delivered: 10/16/2015 10:15:00 AM $14.97
SPE-98499 AIR HAT
(Review this product) A Delivered: 10/16/2015 10:15:00 AM $99.99

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I started off w/ shocks for the rear hatch. I'm so happy with them, they work so well and got rid of another rattle.

So next I put the shocks on the hood also. And like you I used real bolts & nuts...that won't fail or strip out. No more hood prop-rod and they work awesome.

Your Bronco looks great! I love the color, and I like all of the attention to detail while maintaining the Classic Bronco look and stance.