• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

shocks

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
At SOB this year I managed to break my front driver's side shock. Before I replace it I was wondreing if I could get some opinions on what the best shocks would be to get and what are the benefits of having dual shocks in the front.

todcolvin

I have become a fan of the Rancho 9000Xs because of their adjustability. I run dual shocks on all four corners. I run one shock on each wheel set to normal street driving settings and have the others set up on the remote adjuster so that when I start driving aggressively I can pump up the shocks--a huge difference in cornering. I live in the mountains and drive my Bronco like a sports car.

The new Rancho and Bilstein shocks are so good that you no longer need to run dual shocks. These have much better dampening and they do not overheat like the old shocks. The only reason I run dual shocks is that it is easier to adjust driving down the road and the air system on Rancho's remote adjuster leaks down a couple of settings over a day or two.

My first road trip with the new Ranchos was from Colorado to SOB7 (we won the long distance award this year) and my wife and I could not believe the difference in ride quality compared to my old Rancho 5000 shocks. It rides much smoother and handles better.

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
You will not get no real benifits to dual shocks, unless you plan on jumping, or going fast on bumpy trails(or cycle your suspension more than average). I hear the blistens are good, but I have not used them. I have had good luck with Rancho RS9000 shocks. I will probably start a wave saying that;)

OP
OP
A

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
I read some other posts about shocks and it seems the common theme is that Bilsteins are better. How do I know what type/ size that I will need? This is all so new to me.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
Search the old threads, there have been lots of discussions on this same topic. The consensus opinion is to use bilsteins. The cost for Bilstein 5100s is about the same as Rancho 9000s, expect to pay about $75 per shock. If you do serious wheeling then you might want to consider Bilstein 7100 series shocks, though they are much more expensive. You should also know that you'll need to change your front shock mounts since bilstein shocks can only be mounted with eye mounts and the stock front bronco mounts use stud mounts. While this it a PITA you can use this as an opportunity to install longer shock mounts allowing more front travel. The two options are to install shock hoops or F250 mounts.

I'm in the process of installing a 3-1/2" lift and, based on feedback from this forum, have decided to go with single, 10" travel Bilstein 5100 shocks all the way around. Because I'm using single shocks I don't need shock hoops so I'm putting in F250 shock mounts that I picked up from BC Broncos for $32. I should be done installing the lift this weekend so I'll let everyone know how it rides when I'm done. Can't wait!! ;D

OP
OP
A

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
OK, I went through and searched past threads and was hoping that I would get some info that I can use for my bronco. I have determined that I would do the bilsteins 5100 and most likely the f250 mounts. I am still unsure of what size I would need. Most everything I saw was 12" front and 10" in the rear. This was for a 3.5" lift. I have a 5.5" lift. Will this make a difference in what I will need? Are there any other factors that I should use to base my decision? Thanks for the help :)

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
SO do these Gas-Charged shocks actually help the amount of sway other Broncos with 5.5" lift + have on the road. I have Pro-Comp shocks now and I'm not impressed as far as handling.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I'm putting in a 3.5" lift and decided to go with 10" shocks all the way around with the F250 towers. I was concerned that 12" front shocks would bottom out and ruin the shock. Plus I'd have to weld in the new shock mounts higher up on the frame making them weaker than the original mounts since I'd have less surface area to weld. Running 12" front shocks with a 3.5" lift is really pushing the limit and you'd have to be very careful in placing your front mounts. As far as a 5.5" lift goes I don't know, I think you'll need some feedback from someone who has a taller lift.

huged29

Loc.
Ft Collins, Colorado
I got the 12" travel 5100s with 3.5" of lift and the F250 mounts and I think that it will work perfectly. Right now I have about 4 inches of uptravel so I am gonna order some new bumpstops that allow for 3 inches of up travel so it won't ruin then shock. Then I will have about 8 or 9 inches of down travel which is think is more important then up travel. Once one of your bumpstops hits the frame the axle will just pivot around that point instead of the center and you will still get tons of travel.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new 5150's, especially since they're not much more than the 5100's. I'm going to be putting on F-250 towers and the currie inboard mount in the rear with a 5 1/2" susp. lift, so if I get mine done first, I'll let you know. Make sure you post what you decide to go with and the results.

huged29

Loc.
Ft Collins, Colorado
mlogan24 said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new 5150's, especially since they're not much more than the 5100's. I'm going to be putting on F-250 towers and the currie inboard mount in the rear with a 5 1/2" susp. lift, so if I get mine done first, I'll let you know. Make sure you post what you decide to go with and the results.

The 5150s are the same thing as the 5100s except they cost more. The reservoir on them is really mostly for just looks. Performance wise it is no different then a 5100 shock. You can't rebuild it, you can't revalve it, and the reservoir kinda gets in the way with the F250 mounts since it is not removable. If you figure they are about $30 more each and you are getting 4 of them then that is $120 that could go towards something more usefull like a locker or something else.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Not even for the bling bling factor?;D ;)

All kidding aside, I was always told there is really no difference between the 7100's and the 5100's as far as shock ability (not counting the obvious such as adjustable valving, external resevoir)? I would assume that for the extra bucks enhanced cooling and that much less fade as afforded by the external resevoir would just be a plus.

huged29

Loc.
Ft Collins, Colorado
If you got extra money then go for it.

You are right about the 7100s, they are basically the same shock, but they can be revalved and rebuilt, and do run cooler because of the reservoir. The only time you really need a external reservoir shock if you are jumping your truck a lot or going really fast on offroad terrain. If your truck sees some street driving and just regular offroading you arn't gonna notice a difference.

The 5100s are enough bling bling for me until I can afford to link it and run some coilovers, but to each his own.;D

OP
OP
A

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
mlogan24 said:

Definetly let me know how it turns out! I have another question as well... What is the currie inboard mount???? I thought that I read that it would just hook up to the stock mounts? If it will hook up to the stock mounts what are the benefits of the currie inboard mounts? If I am going to do this I want to make sure that I am doing the best I can for her.