• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I be able to turn the stock power steering box by hand.

benelibutton

Just bought it. Im pretty sure I had a delphi box I could turn by hand. But I cant remember if I was grabbing the end of the pitman arm or not. I cant turn this one by grabing the splines where the pitman arm goes. Normal or frozen box?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You should not be able to turn at the pitman arm end by hand. At the input side you will be able to turn if worn any amount, If the box is really tight You might need something bigger to grab onto until you just get past center then you can turn it. The gears inside mesh tight when the wheels are straight ahead and the box is adjusted properly. As soon as you turn off center the gears loosen up.

gladkin

Put a torque wrench on the end of the input shaft, the total drag should be 4-5 in/lb (not ft/lb) and then 9-10 in/lb when you cross center.

OP
OP
B

benelibutton

A torch wrench dosent sound like something I want to put on the splines. Could I dump some mystery oil down there and let it soak overnight.

OP
OP
B

benelibutton

The ports were off when I got it and who knows how long its been sitting in the garage.