• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I buy a backup Bronco?????

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
I have a 69 Bronco that I want to do a frame up on...I am waiting to buy a house and garage before I start. In the meantime I have been collecting parts. I have a Dana 44 with discs that I picked up and a extra rear 9 inch. The Bronco is already in great shape---(brand new 302, NP435 has been swapped in, and a newer paint job has been done). I need to add the PS, PB, Dana 44, Lift, Tires, Wheels, Custom Dash, etc, etc....so I figured I might as well just do a whole frame up job even though it looks good now.

Here is my question?:? ?:? ?:? I just came across an add here in Kalispell, Montana where I live. "1966 Bronco 4x4. New 200 engine drivetrain needs work, $1200 OBO."

Should I buy this Bronco and start a rebuild using its frame---I already have the extra axles----and I really want to do a fuel injection engine anyways----after the frame, lift, engine is done I could add the tranny out of my Bronco and swap bodies--------How hard would all this be. Remeber mine is a 69 and the one for sale is a 66. The whole benefit to this would be I could be driving my Bronco in the meantime while I am doing the frame up on the other one----and I prob could get it for 900.00 Bucks. Are they interchangable---or would I run into a bunch of problem????? IS it worth doing it this way??????

Sorry about the huge explanation.....looking forward to the advice.

BC?:? ?:?

BroncoT

Loc.
Milford, CT
I'm planning on doing something similar, getting a 76 frame, putting full size axles underneath it, 351W, NP435, etc, then swapping my fiberglass body onto it. I can only think of a few things for you:
1. 66 had different rear shock mounts.
2. Since it's a 6 cyl, you'll have to replace the motor mounts for a V8.
I guess the question is what else are you getting out of the 66? $900 is a lot for just the frame, but if you can use a bunch of other parts, go for it.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Yes,
But find one that runs, and have a V8. That way you have one to drive while building the other....;D

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I just came in from throwing the stick for the dog, down at the creek from a place that is not commonly accessible by most. My Bronco provides opportunities I could not have otherwise and with hunting season coming up I can not imagine doing without it. I say if you can afford it, go for it and enjoy both things you desire. The reason I do not do all the things I dream of and want to do, is in part because I can not do without what I have currently and enjoy so much. I don't think a man can ever have to many Broncos, even though others might disagree.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd go take a look at that 66 see what kind of shape its in. then its up to you which one to restore/modify like BroncoT said different rear shock mounts and motor mounts. Two bronco's are better than 1. if the 66 is not to bad you could always fix it up a little and sell it to pay for your mods on the 69