• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I Buy An Early Bronco??

Lornemalvo

I am in high school and I really love early Broncos. I want to buy one over the summer I'll have at least 4.5-5 grand by the beginning of summer from my job and I can also sell my jeep Cherokee for 3k. I enjoy working on cars and have relatives that are basically mechanics and have all needed tools and knowledge for repairs and installing new parts, etc. My question is, will I be able to buy an early bronco at an affordable price and fix it up enough to where I can rely on it as a daily driver over the summer and have it instead of my Cherokee, and eventually modify it for off-roading over time? Also how much do you think this type of project would cost me? Would I be able to sell my car and fix it up over summer to get it street ready/reliable, or should I keep my car and work on the truck as a project over time? Thank you so much to whoever offers their advice.

OP
OP
L

Lornemalvo

Also would it be likely that because these cars are so old I would have to buy a whole new frame or something like that? Please say no

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Welcome!

Some have EB's as a daily driver. Does that mean it is right for you would be hard to answer to many variables. I think something else for a daily driver would be a good way for you to start. When I was in high school I couldn't have afforded 2 cars to keep up tho I had a motorcycle and truck. Your support may be different than mine was.

Not knowing where you are from it would be had to guess on pricing for your area. As far as needing a frame, again it depends on where you are from. It would help if you post what state you are in. It is a rare one that doesn't have rust. It's just how much rust and what your skill set for replacements.

On the plus side Bronco's are very fun to drive and play with. the parts you may need for repairs are available.

Keep reading all you can on this site and asking questions while looking at eb's for sale. You will learn a lot. When the time comes find someone from here to look at one with you. When you do find one make sure to post pictures. You will have more support here than you can believe.

good luck and have fun

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Where do you live? That will be a huge factor. Also how far is work and school from you?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Unless it is rusted away or badly damaged in a crash an early Bronco should not need a frame replacement.

You do seem to be looking at it the right way.
With your budget a fixer-upper is what you will get.

The trick is to get the best Bronco you can that fits what you want to do with it for the money you have.

OP
OP
L

Lornemalvo

Thanks so much everybody I'm in Georgia and it looks like all the bronco's near me are anywhere from 4-6k that aren't total rust buckets. Most work I should be able to do myself unless I have to rebuild an engine or something like that.

OP
OP
L

Lornemalvo

Also I live close to school and work and everything, but one day I'd really like to fix one up just like a new car, though I know that will be a long time from now.

BroncoBoom

Loc.
Grass Valley
Welcome to the site !
Bronco although a little $$ these days
Is a good vehicle to start with .
Most modifications / repairs can be done by you .
Good luck

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I drove my eb all through high school.
Gas was only 88 cents a gallon but it's gas mileage was still an issue. Not too much broke as it was not that old in those years. I learned soooo much working on that eb.

If your smart you will hang on to yours like I did. It was not always easy to turn down the cash offers that constantly came my way for all those years. But I wouldn't let her go for any amount of money now.....yup....I still have her. That's her in my Avatar.
32 years together. I think I'll keep her.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
If you can keep your Heap Cherokee then do it. You will need a "Parts Chaser" and no better one than a throw away. while Early Broncos make great daily drivers, there are times when you don't want to be that " Cool Bronco Driver"

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
If you can keep your Heap Cherokee then do it. You will need a "Parts Chaser" and no better one than a throw away. while Early Broncos make great daily drivers, there are times when you don't want to be that " Cool Bronco Driver"

Agree 100%.

I had a bronco for a daily driver in HS as well. Was great most of the time but you'll defitely need a back up, a parts chaser and something for those days that you just need the creature-comforts.

I would do it again the same way...but I did have a back up.

Good luck!

wepuckett

My 2 cents is that since you need a reliable rig I would focus on something you can buy without selling your Jeep as someone that is still trying to get his on the road after a year with a limited budget I would keep the Jeep till you feel the Bronco is reliable might even sell the Jeep and buy a cheap car if you can't borrow one to have a backup around as you never know when something will come up and you don't have the money to fix right then. I would say only sell your current rig once you are comfortable with how the bronco drives for a couple months. Will this take longer possibly but it will also keep you from loosing your job or having to ride the bus to school again if you don't have enough to get the bronco on the road right away.

If you don't find one you like with just the money you have from your summer job don't get discouraged just keep saving and keep watching adds and you will find one to your liking patients is the key.

bmbm

Yes

Save as much as you can and find the least rusted 74-77 Bronco with least amount of body damage you can find/afford. Save enough so you can buy one with very minimal rust and damage and it will be a more pleasant experience. That way you are pretty much just doing mechanical work, it's a Ford, not a complicated piece of equipment.
So yes get one as soon as possible, driving a Bronco is a blast.

OP
OP
L

Lornemalvo

Thanks I guess I've pretty much decided I'm getting an EB now this summer no matter what cause I've really fallen in love with them from what I've seen. One more question though, is there any way you guys know of that I can modify it to get any better gas mileage cause I know they only get around 10 mpg.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Thanks I guess I've pretty much decided I'm getting an EB now this summer no matter what cause I've really fallen in love with them from what I've seen. One more question though, is there any way you guys know of that I can modify it to get any better gas mileage cause I know they only get around 10 mpg.

Much can be done. The return on your investment can be minimal.

One of the best things you can do is tune it well and drive it like the gas pedal could break.
Easy acceleration. Keep your cruising speed below 2500 rpm regardless of speed.

Some guys here get better than 14 mpg with proper gearing and fuel injection.
Even better could likely be achieved with less weight/gear, less suspension lift, smaller tires, etc..but who wants to do that.....?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you're in love with them, you might as well get it out of your system, while you're young. %)
I fell in love with Broncos in my 1970 auto shop class. Another student had one. I finally bought ours new in '77 when I heard Ford was discontinuing them.
Try to find one that hasn't already been hacked by a previous owner. One with the stock motor, tranny, and suspension/steering. This way parts will be available and you'll be able to keep it running. It's much easier to fix a carb and clutch than fuel injection and an auto/overdrive tranny.;)

Good luck kid!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Save as much as you can and find the least rusted 74-77 Bronco with least amount of body damage you can find/afford. Save enough so you can buy one with very minimal rust and damage and it will be a more pleasant experience. That way you are pretty much just doing mechanical work, it's a Ford, not a complicated piece of equipment.
So yes get one as soon as possible, driving a Bronco is a blast.

I would argue against the '77 and even the '76
The latest production get a lot of interest because they were the most recent and had the most options.
Also avoid the '66 as they are high in collector interest.

I recommend the '71 to '74 years

wepuckett

If you love Bronco's the one thing you need to get out of your system is good gasmilage, is there ways to improve it and maximize it sure but never as good as modern vehicles.

Don't rush into getting one this summer if you don't find the right one for you save your money and keep looking if it doesn't meet your criteria

As for what years I would say figure out what specs you want manual or auto disc, power brakes or hydro boost and 33 or 35's and don't limit your self to one with all those things but do the research and know what it will take to get it t here if it doesn't have it as some things will be cheaper to buy already installed.

I did plenty of threads or research on what specs I wanted for example I wanted AOD as mine won't have FI it will be carb and want at least 33's but may go bigger once I figure out what body mount to go with so will be going with 4.88 gears, also will be switching to heim steering due to the fact I will be using 76 axles and don't wanna deal with the Inverted Y steering. Do your research and figure out what you like and want, it is better to find one with all mechanical done and lift and everything done mechanically but bad paint job or and minor metal repair then a perfect paint job and needing everything rebuilt.

Build yourself a plan of what you want and know that will change and find as much on it as possible. If you plan in the future it being an off road rig will it be a driver as well or just off road, those type of questions will decide what your looking for.

What part of GA are you in?
We have a group in the Carolina's going to URE the first weekend of Nov if you can make it and wanna get a feel for a bunch of different bronco's
http://www.cb4x4.com/forums/showthr...5-**The-Big-One-Zero**TEN**&p=60427#post60427

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I say get yourself one. But keep your Heep .. You'll need it on some mornings that the Bronco doesn't want to attend class.
... I have a 95 grand Cherokee that I drive to work .. It's cheap & keeps miles off my diesel & Lets me chose the day I want to drive my Bronco to work.