• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I swap my hood?

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I've got a decent metal hood on my '76. I'd rather have a hood with a functional scoop. Nothing about this Bronco is original or prestine, so I'm not worried about collectability.

Should I:
A- Cut a hole in my metal hood and mount a scoop on top, or
B- Buy an aftermarket fiberglass hood with scoop built in.

How much can I expect to sell my metal hood for? It's in good shape with just a little bit of rust on the front edge.

Also, someone in another thread stated that swappin hoods is a major PITA. True?

I've also heard that there is little advantage to a functional scoop on an otheriwse stock powered EB but this would be one of many future power upgrades. Besides, functional scoops look cool to me.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Swapping hoods is a piece of cake.. I cut a hole in one of mine for clearance reasons several years ago and have regretted it since. I don't think a functional hood scoop will gain you anything on a Bronco. I currently have 2 Broncos with hood scoops and I am trying to swap them out for uncut ones. The only reason I would consider a scoop is for clearence need for an aftermarket manifold or for EFI. A good uncut hood would sell for around $200 to $250 probably.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
,,,,,one thing to consider ,unless it's a garage/tarp queen except on sunny days....having a open scoop over the motor without some type gutter/drain system is a f$%K situation in bad rainy weather,,,,open backed cowl induction style hoods can utilize the upper firewall on the early broncos that naturally acts like a gutter system keeping the motor dry ,,,, ......also...I am very familiar with what has been written or said on the cowl induction hood theories & why they work for grabbing air for the engine to consume ,but in my own hot weather real world testing(plenty of that here in houston) I've found that combined with my electric fan sitting still or moving very slowly that some serious heat comes pouring out the back opening contributing to lowering the under hood temps a bunch unlike the inferno under the hood that used to be with just half the horsepower I currently have ....

Attachments

• P5241480.JPG
    P5241480.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 94

67bronco

Loc.
Holmes Beach, Fl
I cut mine and regret it, may consider buying yours if you can meet me in N. Florida. If you must change your hood, I agree with the cowl induction as a better option for a Bronco 1. because on the road our billboard of a windshield should shove more cold air that way than what a scoop would catch after the wind hits our flat, flat, front end 2. what he said about rain 3. the main function would be to release heat on the trail and with the fan's air flow going to the rear, the cowl would be more efficient. The only reason I don't have a cowl induction hood now is that I like the option of dropping the windshield (the cops here let me drive around with it down!!) A new hood also brings up the issue of hood pins (usually required, always a good idea with fiberglass, and you probably can't stand on your hood with fiberglass - (I use my truck as a truck.) I hope this helps.

OP
OP
recoiljunky

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I really didn't put much thought into the rain on the motor issue. The truck won't have a top for at least a year probably, so it would be a fair weather ride.

I'm still kind of intersted in swapping it out for a fiberglass, scooped unit.

Maybe I need to look more into the cowl induction.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Should I:
A- Cut a hole in my metal hood and mount a scoop on top, or
B- Buy an aftermarket fiberglass hood with scoop built in..

I would sell my metal hood before I would cut it, and buy a fiberglass cowl(what I'm doing in the near future), alot less pain to bolt one on than fabricate something you may not like...

....open backed cowl induction style hoods can utilize the upper firewall on the early broncos that naturally acts like a gutter system keeping the motor dry....

What kinda of glue is that??

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p A very cool schoop is one from the boss cars its nice and big works very good. You can also use the mustang ones and cut the hole. I run one from a F-650 it has a chrome grill in it and is ford. Just dont get one of the mickey mouse stick on ones good luck and have fun.;D ;D ;D Bill %) :cool: ;D

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Instead of cutting my hood I traded for one that had a bubble on it. I will eventually do the fiberglass-cowl hood. I am also considering the "Broncool" inner fender setups...just not sure what kinda mess that would make on my daily driver.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Who was selling the fiber cowl hood with the small cowls over the vent holes??

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
I would sell my metal hood before I would cut it, and buy a fiberglass cowl(what I'm doing in the near future), alot less pain to bolt one on than fabricate something you may not like...

What kinda of glue is that??

,,,for the glue question>> it's that rubbery "right stuff" stuff not glue....pretty huh? many better choices I imagine such as fiberglass resin for example,but this was in reach on that particular day & it's functional,,,

Attachments

• P5241479.JPG
    P5241479.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
76 bronco J, where in Houston are you located?

,,,, I'm over in the springbranch area on the northwest side between 290 & I10... really close to clay rd. & blalock/fairbanks if your familiar with the area....the place yall met last year on cutten rd. is only about 15-20 minutes away.. I was going to cruise by that day ,but happened to be tied up most of the day instead with other BS.....

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
I cut the hood at the stamped edge of raised middle and added sheet metal. The picture shows it in an eary stage. It will look a lot better looking when done and it will still be steel.

Attachments

• hoodmod.jpg
    hoodmod.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 19

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
I cut the hood at the stamped edge of raised middle and added sheet metal. The picture shows it in an eary stage. It will look a lot better looking when done and it will still be steel.

That's exactly what I want to do!! I've always wondered why none of the aftermarket fiberglass hoods used the stock lines for the hood scoop. I look forward to seeing it finished. Nice start.