• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sick of Leaks around my dipstick tube

G

I am finally spending some bucks to make my 302 fresh. So,,,,,, I thought that I would solve some small problems while It is at the machine shop. I have over the years tried many sealers to seal around my dipstick tube. I welded the plate to the pan and always the oil weeped around the tube. I went to Duffs and looked into a new pan. What , no tube or stick, and they did not know where the new tube and dipstick went on the 302. Hmmmmmmmmm!
OK call Tom's, and they want to sell a used pan with screw in tube,,,,,,, 250.00. ???
I was just hoping that you folks might want to show me the way

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
check out the ford racing pan in the jegs catalog. i just bought one it's working out great. this pan is a dual sump pan like the one Tom want's you to buy. where is the dipstick coming out of now is it in the timing cover?or will it need to go into the pan. the pan was like 124 bucks and chrome. looks great i got some pics of it if you want them. there is a hole in the side of the pan that will need to be filled. i think it's for an low oil sensor.

dksroland

Loc.
springfield, mo.
Had the same problem for years.
I sprayed it down and cleaned it real good with starter fluid. A great cleaner and evaporates super quick.
Then sealed it up with blue silicone gasket sealer.
No leaks now for 2 years and matches the ford blue pan.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I took drilled the rivets out, sandblasted the inside piece, the dipstick outer tube and the pan in the gasket area. I temporarily put screws in the rivet holes to hold the inside piece to the pan while it was welded by heliarc.

I cut the outer dipstick tube above the full oil level and slipped a 1/2 od tube over it to serve as a new location for the slip joint for the top part of the dipstick tube.

I had the 1/2" od tube and inner plate, and screw holes welded. I brought it home and silver soldered over the welds to make sure I wasn't going to have any leaks.

If you decide to fix it this way don't make the 1/2" tube etc too high. It might not clear the motormount support that is welded to the frame. Your engine will be very difficult to get back in with the pan on. I had the 1/2" extend up to the pan gasket which may have been a little high.

If you do any welding on the pan let it air cool. Do not put water on it. It will cause the pan to crack.

I have the same pan in a 72 boat. I tried silicone several times in the last 20 years without any permanent success. I fixed it last year. No leaks in either the Bronco or boat. The Bronco has not leaked since I fixed it five years ago.

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Yeah got sick of mine leaking too . Pulled the tube out today to reseal it & ... the tube had a hair line crack in it ! No wonder it wouldn't quit leaking . Good thing I have plenty of rear sump 302's . All fixed now .