• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Side exiting exhaust?

73 toy

Loc.
Leavenworth,wa
Does anyone have any pictures of side exiting exhaust, I was wondering if they went under or over the frame, or had headers that went outsid the rails??

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
I'm using stock manifolds. Single Flowmaster 40 mounted vertically, tucked into the skid plate. 2.5" pipe running under the rail close to the spring hanger, only point on my exhaust that the pipe is any lower than the frame.
1088314623_Mvc_009s.jpg

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
this is the way I ran mine. Basically the same route it would have taken on stock chassis. I like it there, but it is noisy. I'm sure the little ricers hate it!

Attachments

• dscn0642.jpg
    dscn0642.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 376

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
Here are a few pictures of my side exit.. I really like it, plus it angles down and away from from me to keep the fumes at bay. I don't have any really great angles, but here are a couple.

mike12.jpg

mike22.jpg

If you are interested, I can try and snap a few more pictures. I have Thursday off this week, and I was planning on doing a few tech write-ups... Maybe I will get some better pictures then!

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Here's my side exhaust. I can't take credit for it. The PO did it and a damn fine job. this pic is about 3 yrs old, still looks the same. The exhaust runs from headers inside frame rails, then under the frame rails just behind the drop radius arms brackets and out to where you see them. I like it a lot, but w/o a top on, it's kinda stinky, but i don't care.

Attachments

• 73 1-small.jpg
    73 1-small.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 270

Southerner

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread but, do any of you have any problems with exhaust coming into the cab with the hard top on or off? I'm about to have my exhaust routed and I like the way you guys have done it. I've always heard to run them behind the rear wheels angled 45 down in order to stay away from the exhaust problems. When I bought my eb the p.o. had them straight out the back and I figured out real quick that I couldn't breathe in the cab with the top on:p . Thanks in advance

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
I was told as long as you had a little bit of a downward tilt on the exhaust you wouldn't have that problem. I was wanting mine to tilt down a little but instead the guy made it come strait out. But I haven't had a problem with that yet. I guess I won't since I've already had the top off.

72_EB

66to77
Mine is similar to Yellow. Maybe an inch or two closer to the tire.
I'll try and snap a picture later.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Back to the original question...
Must of us are running the exhaust under the frame. I would consider an over the frame design if I had a body lift. This is a mute point with fenderwell headers. I think Hooker makes them.
Muffler(s) can be located inside or outside framerails.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
Broncobowsher said:
This is a mute point with fenderwell headers

Hmmm, I have always thought that the saying was a "MOOT" Point...

I have been wrong plenty before and I know it has nothing to do with mufflers, but I am curious...

Which is correct?? "Mute" or "Moot"?????????? ?:?

I am sorry if anybody is anoied by this Hi-Jack....

:cool:

Pirate EB

Loc.
Cary, NC
I heard moot also.

In one of the new 4wheeler magazines some guy that does a lot of snow wheeling pointed his toward the rear tires. He says the heat cleans the tread for better traction. I thought that was pretty cool.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
:eek:

That's a good idea... i wouldn't have thought of do'n that...

I have mine out behind the back wheels but out straight, not angled down at all, and I do indeed get some gas stink in the cab from time to time...

I'm think'n of get'n some chrome tips with the angled out-lets and see if it dose anything for the exhust stench... or if it just makes it look MORE cool

:cool:

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
pointing them directly at the tires is a bad idea

1) it will overheat the tires

2) It will cause the snow to melt and which is generally a worse situation (slippery slush)

3) there was another reason the speed shop mentioned but I can remember now.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
j.r.nice said:
pointing them directly at the tires is a bad idea

1) it will overheat the tires

2) It will cause the snow to melt and which is generally a worse situation (slippery slush)

3) there was another reason the speed shop mentioned but I can remember now.
#3, the hydrocarbons in the exhaust break down the rubber.