• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Side Marker Light Hack

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I came up with this idea as I work to get my Bronco road-worthy again - hope it helps someone else.

The side marker lamp / lenses were really bad and faded. While waiting for replacements to arrive, I carefully inspected the wiring and cleaned 50 years of dirt and oxidation out of the existing bulb sockets.

Everything looked OK, visually and voltage wise. But I noticed that the sockets no longer stayed seated in the lamps, allowing dirt and moisture to work their way in.

I'd love to rewire the truck but for (what I believe is) a decent fix for now - after installing new LED bulbs, I stretched a couple wraps of self-fusing silicone tape between the lamp body and the socket to hold it in place. It holds it in place snugly, so I can rest assured this will be good to go for quite some time.

Attachments

• sidemarker_tape_1.jpg
    sidemarker_tape_1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 120

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great idea! Those things can get really cruddy over the years.
Most of the time, the quick-fix is a quick-kick, but I like yours better.

Looks permanent to me!

Paul

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Put some silicone grease in the socket as well, and you wont have corrosion issues again.

OP
OP
jerry

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Put some silicone grease in the socket as well, and you wont have corrosion issues again.
Good idea. Not entirely pleased with the way the white LED's look. If i get about to replacing with red / amber then I'll definitely grease things

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk