• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Skyjacker Softride Coil Spring Set - 2" Front Lift

DAR

Loc.
Coeur D Alene
I'm putting new tires and wheels on my 1977 Bronco and the tire size will be 33x10.5. I'm assuming they will rub. The rig is stock height and hasn't ever been messed with. Stock broncos seem to be higher in the back? I'm looking for a easier front lift option and came across the Skyjacker Softride Coil Spring Set - 2" Front Lift.

1) Anyone have experience with 33X10.5 on a stock Bronco. Will they fit? Do they rub?

2) Will the Skyjacker Coils raising the front 2" give enough room for the tires? Good option to lift the front? Will I have to lengthen the brake lines? Any other mods I'll need to do after the 2" front lift?

Any advise would be appreciated.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The specialty Bronco vendors have lift kits that are better for the Bronco, the Skyjacker kit is kind of generic.

You will find that you need to lift both the front and the rear.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I'm putting new tires and wheels on my 1977 Bronco and the tire size will be 33x10.5. I'm assuming they will rub. The rig is stock height and hasn't ever been messed with. Stock broncos seem to be higher in the back? I'm looking for a easier front lift option and came across the Skyjacker Softride Coil Spring Set - 2" Front Lift.

1) Anyone have experience with 33X10.5 on a stock Bronco. Will they fit? Do they rub?

2) Will the Skyjacker Coils raising the front 2" give enough room for the tires? Good option to lift the front? Will I have to lengthen the brake lines? Any other mods I'll need to do after the 2" front lift?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Avoid all of those "other" brands. Stick with specifically eb vendors like the ones at the top of the page. They have often researched spring rates specific to the "early" Bronco.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone have experience with 33X10.5 on a stock Bronco. Will they fit? Do they rub?

If the Bronco in your garage is the one you are talking about then maybe with those cutout flairs it will be enough as long as you don't flex the suspension very much, however it will be close.

Will the Skyjacker Coils raising the front 2" give enough room for the tires? Good option to lift the front? Will I have to lengthen the brake lines? Any other mods I'll need to do after the 2" front lift?

Yes the 2" coils will be enough, I have not had any experience with the Skyjacker brand so cant comment on how they will ride. If it were mine I would stay with one of the vendors for suspension mods.

As for the brake line I would install a longer brake drop line, the line that goes from the frame to the axle, just to be on the safe side. If the rubber lines havn't been replaced it would be wise to replace all of them anyway.

When you raise the front it will it cause the toe to be increased if you have the stock steering tie-rod linkage and the steering wheel will no longer be centered. There are several ways to fix this but the least expensive, if the stock drag-link/ tie-rod are good, would be to install a drop pitman arm and a drop trac-bar bracket. Some have stated that when installing a 2.5" lift on the 76/77's they had no difference in the steering, however all the ones I have installed to those yrs caused the steering to be off. The other option and the one I would recommend would be to install this kit
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tie_Rod_Drag_Link_3way_Adjustable_7677yr

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just for reference, you might measure between the top of the axle and the bottom of the frame rail. This will give you an indication of where you are sitting in relation to stock (about 7") and give a starting point to check how much lift you end up with as well.

Some Broncos sat high in the rear, some sat level. That's just the way it is so there is no hard and fast rule that makes all Broncos level, or makes them all sit with a stock look.
Probably had at least some to do with which spring package you got. Regular or heavy-duty.

If all your fenders are cut, and your front inner aprons are trimmed, those 33x10.50 tires will fit at stock height. As long as you choose the proper wheel size and offset.

If you are sagged out in the front at all (hence the reason for measuring now) then it might be harder to fit.
We have a Bronco with 33x12.50x15's on 8" wheels at stock height with cut fenders. So it can be done.

But your desire for a modest lift is fine too, as it not only makes some fitments a little easier, but it also makes the Broncos look just that much cooler!

As surfer-b mentioned too, in the old days most people did not bother to correct the steering linkage for the lift height. But nowadays more and more owners are not only driving on the street more, but are more sensitive to changes in the steering geometry and opt for the drop arm and bracket.
You can try it first of course, then add them later if you don't like the way it feels on the road, but I'm guessing if you want to drive it much, you will prefer it with the steering corrections.

Good luck

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and measure the rear too. Stock would be 6" so anything below that is how much it's sagged out.

If you put in 2-2.5" front springs and your rears are sagged, you will probably be rear-down stance. If you are at original ride height in the rear however, those same 2" springs might just level you out.

Only way to tell is to measure first.

Paul