• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Slantback top for a Bronco, HMMWV (Humvee) style, anybody interested?

Are you interest in a slantback fiberglass hardtop option?

• Yes, I would buy one.

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • No, I have no interest.

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • Other, then your post about this subject.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • A soft top version would be better. I would buy one!

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Deano, thanks for the drawing! If anybody is good with photoshop, feel free to add a picture or your own ideas. I am not well versed in that area. Keep the comments and VOTES coming.

BTW A soft top vote option was added due to the responses.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
The original soft-top that I had made for my Bronco by a local boat-canvas shop in Mobile back in 1994 was as described. I am not sure I have any pics of it...but I still have it in my garage... It was sort of cool and functional. The back section zippered off from about 10-12" behind the doors....which made it difficult for ease of up down...as it used only the B-pillar bar and the windshield hinge for support (the rear legs of the cage kicked back from the B-pillar for about 2.5 feet at a slope and then dropped toward the floor behind the wheel wells...so that supplied some support for the rear of the top). There were snaps down the sides (of the bed-rail) and along the top of the tailgate. It was impossible for anyone to ride in the back with the top on. It served its purpose during grad school and for a few more years until I discovered the Kayline/STC top.

I should be in the garage this weekend working on the truck, maybe I can dig it out...it wont do any good as none of the hardware is still on the Bronco and it would never fit over the family cage...but maybe I can lay it out for some pics.

Who knows maybe I do have some photos...cant recall ever taking any...we were always on the go in the Bronco, never taking pics of it.

OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I think you need to build one and let us see it.;D

I called on a slantback and they already sold it. Probably beyond my skill level but I thought about meshing it with part of a hard top I have. I would want it to look nice, and as one piece, nothing slapped together.

Last edited:

ploidy

here's a quick photoshop. used a ford logo for a window
Bronco02.jpg

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Back in the day when I ran a bikini top, I wanted a rear bed cover that would fit over my soft top hardware and taper up to the top of the roll bar under the bikini top. I figured you could make the more vertical section out of boat top window material but it would keep things protected underneath. When it would warm up during the day, you could drop the vertical portion and in the evening when it got cold, you could put it back up. My idea wouldn't allow any passengers in the back.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
check out bikini hardtop thread,bluebronco69 has pics of his slantback soft top. I don't know how to transfer pics from one thread to another.

ploidy

I designed a custom top using net for windows...here's the rear window. I can dye it any color to match
window.jpg

JackHoleRacer

Loc.
Phoenix
I have been thinkin bout doing that for a while now, since i built my cage w/ a slant to it. I already have a STC top, I talked to a boat upholstery guy he said i could use all regular sot top hardware. Just make shorter back hoop.
I Digg It The Most!

Attachments

• P4300141.jpg
    P4300141.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 12
  • P4300147.jpg
    P4300147.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 14
  • P4300145.jpg
    P4300145.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
A hard top version of this would be a modified half cab basically. Not just a rear section, but it covers the cab then extends downwards towards the rear behind the driver. Like a fast back after the cab. What if sections could be removed, like a modified open half cab? Visibilty could then be improved, and give an open air vehicle with sun and weather protection. Any more ideas on this?