• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sloppy Steering Help

c130puke

Loc.
Iowa City, IA
I have quite a bit of slop in my steering, even while sitting still. If I raise the hood and grab the 'bar' going from the steering wheel to the front wheels, the bar moves back and forth 2 - 3 clock positions. any suggestions?

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
If you have manual steering and the rag joint is good, your problem may be in the box. Lucky for you, there is some adjustment in the worm gear.<br>Look on top of the box and you'll see a screw (maybe hex or slotted) with a lock nut. Loosen the locknut and tighten the screw. This will take out a limited amount of slop.<br><br>Ed<br><br>Oh, don't forget to retighten the locknut!<br>

OP
OP
C

c130puke

Loc.
Iowa City, IA
[quote author=edjolly link=board=5;threadid=12480;start=0#93165 date=1040369037]
If you have manual steering and the rag joint is good, your problem may be in the box. Lucky for you, there is some adjustment in the worm gear.
Look on top of the box and you'll see a screw (maybe hex or slotted) with a lock nut. Loosen the locknut and tighten the screw. This will take out a limited amount of slop.

Ed

Oh, don't forget to retighten the locknut!

[/quote]

thanks for the thorough answer. in addition to being a 'newbie', I am also not an experienced, master mechanic. so I really appreciate the details. thanks again

Benzo

Loc.
SF Bay Area
When adjusting the steering box, just don't loosen the lock nut and tighten down. There is a procedure you need to follow or you can break some parts in the box. Raise the front wheels off the ground, turn the steering wheel to the far left. Then loosen the lock nut, screw down the adjusting screw, tighten lock nut. If you tighten the adjusting screw with the wheels straight forward, you may also bind up the steering box. The gears in the box are worm gears which have an hour glass shape. Make sure you tighten the box with the steering turned all the way left. Then you will be fine if the box is loose and that's your problem. Don't tighten the screw too tight. Snug should be fine.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
That locknut and screw is for worm gear preload only and is used to set the drag resistance. The spanner and crown nut where the column shaft goes in may be loose. Also, you may want to check your track bar bushings, when they go bad, this can also make your steering feel sloppy.

BH

leaded1825

Also check your tie rod ends and the drag link comming down from the pitman arm. Play or worn out ends can give you sloppy steering also.PS is the way to go if it needs to be replaced.<br>My0.02$