• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Small wires going to solinoid getting very HOT ???

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went for my first drive that was more than a mile down the road today (about 10 miles), the engine temp ran about 195 and when I stopped it got it to about 210 for a minute and then came back to about 200 while idling. This is a 393 that was bored 40 over. Is this about the best I can expect for cooling? I have a Ron Davis Radiator, fan shroud, 7 blade fan, 180 therostat, and a B.C. Broncos water pump, running 50/50 coolant.

My most important question here is that while it was idling I noticed what I thought was a little smoke coming from the small wires going to the small posts on the solinoid. I immediately turned off the engine and didn't notice any more smoke. The wires were too hot to hold with your fingers. I let it sit for a while and cranked it again and the wires were hot again within just a minute or two...any ideas what's up with this? Everything is working and the alt is charging like always.

Wanted to do a little riding this weekend, but this wire deal bothers me..... any help greatly appreciated.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Make sure all your ground wire connections are good also make sure the solinoid itself is grounded. If the ground connections are poor the system will try to ground its self throught the path that has the best ground which could be your solinoid at presant time thats why the small wires are getting hot be cause the extra juice is being pulled through them.
If your engine is new it will run hot for a while until everything is broke in also SBF's tend to run a little hot when bored .40 over as the cylinder walls are fairly thin

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
broncnaz said:
Make sure all your ground wire connections are good also make sure the solinoid itself is grounded. If the ground connections are poor the system will try to ground its self throught the path that has the best ground which could be your solinoid at presant time thats why the small wires are getting hot be cause the extra juice is being pulled through them.
If your engine is new it will run hot for a while until everything is broke in also SBF's tend to run a little hot when bored .40 over as the cylinder walls are fairly thin

Thanks man.... I found the wire probem. 2 wires had rubbed together back away from the soliniod. I am a prime candidate for a new wiring harness.

I hope that .040 over doesn't haunt me too bad. If the guy that built my short block had of told me I could have furnished another block. Oh well...

Time to light up the road a little, get this thing broke in. I just hope my trans (c4) will hold up long enough to get another one built.