• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Smaller fan pulley

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I'm working on low speed cooling. BC has an 5 3/8" fan pulley, I'm wondering if would help enough to justify the $100. I'ts a nice aluminum pulley, but I really don't need the good looks. Is there another supplier with just a plain steel pulley? Thanks for any help.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of potential cooling issues with the Bronco. Not everyone has them all, but they exist.
What's your current setup John? Stock engine? Modified? Six or Eight? If an eight, is it a 302 or 351 or other variant? Do you have a fan shroud? Good water pump? Good coolant and hose condition?
You might already have addressed those things, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Lot of Broncos that don't even have the correct radiator. Such as after a straight-6 to V8 swap.

Some things to do, whether you do the pulley or not, would be to seal the radiator to the core support and the grille/hood opening. So much air can flow around the radiator that you want any fan to be able to do it's job in getting air through the radiator and out the bottom of the engine compartment.
Some of the vendors sell kits which include a nice plate to cover the entire opening between the grille and core support.

Do you have a fan shroud currently? That's another area to address if you don't. Make sure that your fan is spaced correctly too. Some people (darn PO's) put spacers in there and don't get it right, so if there's a spacer, check your spacing too.

Nothing wrong with the smaller pulley idea, I'm just adding to things to check as well.

Paul

OP
OP
J

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
Lots of potential cooling issues with the Bronco. Not everyone has them all, but they exist.
What's your current setup John? Stock engine? Modified? Six or Eight? If an eight, is it a 302 or 351 or other variant? Do you have a fan shroud? Good water pump? Good coolant and hose condition?
You might already have addressed those things, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Lot of Broncos that don't even have the correct radiator. Such as after a straight-6 to V8 swap.

Some things to do, whether you do the pulley or not, would be to seal the radiator to the core support and the grille/hood opening. So much air can flow around the radiator that you want any fan to be able to do it's job in getting air through the radiator and out the bottom of the engine compartment.
Some of the vendors sell kits which include a nice plate to cover the entire opening between the grille and core support.

Do you have a fan shroud currently? That's another area to address if you don't. Make sure that your fan is spaced correctly too. Some people (darn PO's) put spacers in there and don't get it right, so if there's a spacer, check your spacing too.

Nothing wrong with the smaller pulley idea, I'm just adding to things to check as well.

I have a 7 blade fan, aluminum rad. Toms special pump, shroud. I'm adding Broncoolers, headers, and a hood scoop. It runs super cool on the highway. I use the truck on long up hill offroads in S.CO. I may go from 5,000 to 11,000ft. in 5-10 miles, slowly, that's when it likes to get hot. It has air, I don't use it off road but I think the extra radiator may be part of the problem. Would a trans cooler help underhood temps?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I have a 7 blade fan, aluminum rad. Toms special pump, shroud. I'm adding Broncoolers, headers, and a hood scoop. It runs super cool on the highway. I use the truck on long up hill offroads in S.CO. I may go from 5,000 to 11,000ft. in 5-10 miles, slowly, that's when it likes to get hot. It has air, I don't use it off road but I think the extra radiator may be part of the problem. Would a trans cooler help underhood temps?

You need a big tranny cooler. A separate cooler for the trans will take a huge load off the radiator. Trans temp should generally run the same temp as the engine, once your trans gets above 200* on a climb the overheating has already started. It sounds like your trans is adding a lot of heat to your radiator. Mine does the same. I am not geared correctly. Climbing is the worst with an auto, If you don't maintain high enough RPM's the torque converter slippage just keeps building heat. Try low range to keep the RPM's up.

J.K. Francis

Get a Ford Fairmont pully. It has a smaller diameter than stock and it's got mass. I have a 67 Sunbeam Tiger with a 289 in it and that's one of the perferred methods for keeping that thing cool. Also, check into a Stewart high volumn water pump. Much less expensive than an Edelbrock.... Those things and sealing up the radiator with sheet metal did wonders for the Tiger... Another thing is to put a Gano filter/screen in the upper radiator hose if you get a radiator job. You wouldn't believe all the crap that thing will pick up. Jeff

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use the smaller BC pulley. It does help and I think it's worth the money, but if you have an overheating problem I doubt the pulley alone will be the solution.