• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Smaller Power Steering Pulley?

75Bronc

I have a serpentine 351w from a 1990 F250. It has the F250 front dress. I got a junk yard power steering bracket with a Saginaw pump from an E350. It lined up perfect.

It doesn't seem like I have the steering power I use to with the original bronco pump.

Could my pump be weak?

Do I need a smaller power steering pulley? Does anyone have a link to one that would work?

Larger Crank pulley?

I run 35's with lockers front and rear. When I am low RPM crawling, my power steering is very weak. I know the tires and lockers make things worse. I would like to add ram assist in the future, but for right now, I feel that I should have better steering. Even on the street at low rpm it wines a little and is a little tougher than it use to be with the bronco front dress and pump.

Thanks!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
There should be an v aftermarket pulley available. I know they are easier to find for the Saginaw keyed shafts than the press on ones. Im dealing with the same thing after going hydro boost with v- belts.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
35s and lockers. Probably need ram assist.
Smaller pulley can be faked with more engine RPM. If you rev the engine do you get the power steering you want?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Did you use the pump from the donor E350?

The Saginaw should definitely perform better than the stock Thompson pump so I would make sure the pump is in good shape first before making other changes.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
75Bronc

75Bronc

I used the e350 pump. I never ran the Thompson pump with a locker. But on the street I definitely think the Saginaw is a little less powerful.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
75Bronc .. you think your Saginaw is a little weak . All i've been around they have been much better than the any other brand pumps.
& For a 2nd note . When I 1st did my P/S change. I HAD ABOUT 5 Different pumps on hand to try. I discovered there was a valve that the P/S hose screwed into . There were different valve. So Some gave more flow & thus I got my pump to put out more power.