• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Smog pump elimination on serpentine belt

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I'm putting a rebuilt 351 out of a 1990 Ford Van in my '66. The serpentine belt has a smog pump on it. Is there a number for a smaller belt or an idler that goes in place of the smog pump.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You'll want to just measure full tight and full lose then look at the Gates website for proper part number for the length/width number of ribs you need.

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
I would try googling "1990 e250 smog pump delete" or something of that nature. That's what I did when I took the smog pump off my 300. People have been ripping them off since the 90's I'm sure someone somewhere posted a part number for the shorter belt. In my case the pump was low passenger side below the alternator so when it's removed it just wraps the alternator pulley more and continues on its way. Not sure how the vans were setup. There's a member on here Timmy390 I believe who used the serpentine setup out of a van maybe pm him and ask how he did it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't know the van setup off the top of my head. But typically you just run a shorter belt. That's all there really is to it. I've done it with a tape measure and just bought a couple belts that are close, return the ones that don't fit. Parts stores do this all the time.

Adding an idler in its place you can still run into belt length issues. Is the idler in the right spot? Is the pulley the right diameter? IF either of those isn't perfect you are looking for a new belt anyway. And you just added another couple of bearings that can fail.

OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Well, I cut the original belt and had the wife mark the overlap while I held the tensioner in the original spot. Only lost one and a half inches. New belt must be an odd one as in had to be ordered. OEM belt measured 94 1/4" and the new one is 92 3/4".

OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I would try googling "1990 e250 smog pump delete" or something of that nature. That's what I did when I took the smog pump off my 300. People have been ripping them off since the 90's I'm sure someone somewhere posted a part number for the shorter belt. In my case the pump was low passenger side below the alternator so when it's removed it just wraps the alternator pulley more and continues on its way. Not sure how the vans were setup. There's a member on here Timmy390 I believe who used the serpentine setup out of a van maybe pm him and ask how he did it.

Good idea, I did just that and Bronco Zone had the part numbers that (I hope are closer than my measurements). Thanks again everyone.