• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Smog testing Arizona

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
I just bought property in Sierra Vista, Arizona and will probably build a home there within the next few years. I am wondering what kind of a smog test my 76 sport will be subjected to. I am running a freshly rebuilt stock 302 sans air pump. I have all the smog components, but it would be a pain to put it all back on. Is there a visual inspection or just a tailpipe test. Is there some point at which an older vehicle becomes exempt? Are there different testing requiremnts in rural vs urban areas? Any information would be appreciated.

awol_today

Contributor
There's at least one eb'er on here from sierra vista to verify this, but I'm pretty sure you'll be okay in Cochise County. They only test us poor bastards stuck in metro Phoenix and Tucson (Maricopa & Pima Counties).

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Currently Tucson and Phoenix are the only places that require emissions tests but you never know what will happen just keep your smog parts just in case I live in tucson but my Bronco is registered out of town so no emisions test for me. you should be good as is in serria vista last vehicle I registered they didnt even want to look at and it hadnt been registered for a couple of years. I believe if you have to test the cutoff year is 68 everything below 68 is exempt

hd03sporty

Loc.
Tucson AZ
I can confirm this also, Maricopa and Pima counties (Phoenix and Tucson)are the only ones that require a emission test so since Sierra vista is in Cochise county it is not required and the tail pipe test is the only one required for trucks our age....and that is pretty lieniant compared to the newer vechicles....

OP
OP
pinenuts

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
Thanks guys for the replys. Sounds a whole lot easier in Az than it is here in CA. My 76 was about to qualify for the 30 year rolling exemption. Then the Smog Nazis (AKA the CA Air Resources Board) convinced the legislature to do away with it and make only 1975 and older vehicles exempt. I am really looking forward to moving in the next year or so. Hell, I might even join the Minutmen!