• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Smoked My Harness

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
69Early said:
Hi Tom, Hi Toque & My EB posters

Dirt Donk/Paul is going to help me out on the Centec install. We were talking today about the location of the fuse box. Currently my 69 box is located on the floor board just above the gas pedal. Should we install it there or take it up to the glove box like the later models? We are guessing the Centech will accomodate both locations//
Feeling a little better but still a couple weeks out before we can start....never fails, this stuff has to happen why in the middle of summer!!
Thanks for all the insights. Good tips to Toque on the wrap (nip-tuck) on the hazard wires.
I think this will depend upon the layout you plan to use for your stereo. I don't know exactly where the fuse box was originally on my 69 but it had been moved to the glove box. (Actually the glove box was turned into a fuse panel with a big door on it) When I rewired it (I bought the blade type fuse boxes and rewired the harness myself) I put the fuse boxes on top of the tunnel between the seats tucked up in front where I had easy access to them yet they are out of the way. I used terminal blocks for easy connection changes so this works well for me since I can get to the terminal blocks with it there. It was slightly harder to get up behind the stereo I put in the dash but wiring it in was made easy due to the fuse box location which made up for it. I don't how much if any of this would work for you but it might give you some ideas to contemplate.

OP
OP

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA
Smoked My Harness, going centech question??

SaddleUp said:
I think this will depend upon the layout you plan to use for your stereo. I don't know exactly where the fuse box was originally on my 69 but it had been moved to the glove box. (Actually the glove box was turned into a fuse panel with a big door on it) When I rewired it (I bought the blade type fuse boxes and rewired the harness myself) I put the fuse boxes on top of the tunnel between the seats tucked up in front where I had easy access to them yet they are out of the way. I used terminal blocks for easy connection changes so this works well for me since I can get to the terminal blocks with it there. It was slightly harder to get up behind the stereo I put in the dash but wiring it in was made easy due to the fuse box location which made up for it. I don't how much if any of this would work for you but it might give you some ideas to contemplate.

Saddle Up, great idea. I was talking to a fellow eb owner today and he said to pull the dash especially with my vintage air. what do you think?? He said the time it took to pull the dash was more than recovered in working from the floor in the dark under the dash...Thanks for your response!!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
69Early said:
Saddle Up, great idea. I was talking to a fellow eb owner today and he said to pull the dash especially with my vintage air. what do you think?? He said the time it took to pull the dash was more than recovered in working from the floor in the dark under the dash...Thanks for your response!!
Hmm... That would be a hard decision. There really are not that many connections to be made under the dash and if the harness is set up right there shouldn't be much hassle routing them. If you put the fuse box in the glove box then that might change things a bit if you need to work on it during the install. Since I have never used one of the prebuilt harnesses I'm really not sure how much changes will need to made when you install it though. Have you already had the dash out? If so then I would say it might be a benefit. If not then it might end up being a royal PITA just getting some of the screws loose. I think in this case I would go with whatever Paul suggests. It sounds like he has installed a couple of the prebuilt harnesses already.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
69Early said:
Hi Tom, Hi Toque & My EB posters

Dirt Donk/Paul is going to help me out on the Centec install. We were talking today about the location of the fuse box. Currently my 69 box is located on the floor board just above the gas pedal. Should we install it there or take it up to the glove box like the later models? We are guessing the Centech will accomodate both locations//
Feeling a little better but still a couple weeks out before we can start....never fails, this stuff has to happen why in the middle of summer!!
Thanks for all the insights. Good tips to Toque on the wrap (nip-tuck) on the hazard wires.
I looked at the location of the fuse box on the 70 (Father/Son project) I have in the garage which is a bit closer to stock than my 69. I doubt I would want to put a fuse box back up in there. I think I would seriously consider going to the glove box with it given those two choices.

OP
OP

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA

SaddleUp said:
I looked at the location of the fuse box on the 70 (Father/Son project) I have in the garage which is a bit closer to stock than my 69. I doubt I would want to put a fuse box back up in there. I think I would seriously consider going to the glove box with it given those two choices.

I concur, I think the glove box is the way to go!! Any thoguhts on pulling the dash verses working under it? It looks to be quite the task however so will be working under it. particularly with the a/c unit smack in the middle????????

MI-Bronco

I agree - I would much rather have the fuse box in the glove box. The Centech harness has the fuse box kind of tailing out for the middle of the dash - allowing you to put the harness anywhere you want.

One option I considered was to mount the fuse box in a console. There are others on this site that have done that and it looks very clean. I liked the look below.

Also, I found the cause of my dash lights blowing fuses - it was a short. So here is another tip - terminate all wires and cover. I didn't with my dash wire and it found metal %)

Attachments

• fuseBox_small.JPG
    fuseBox_small.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA

MI-Bronco said:
I agree - I would much rather have the fuse box in the glove box. The Centech harness has the fuse box kind of tailing out for the middle of the dash - allowing you to put the harness anywhere you want.

One option I considered was to mount the fuse box in a console. There are others on this site that have done that and it looks very clean. I liked the look below.

Also, I found the cause of my dash lights blowing fuses - it was a short. So here is another tip - terminate all wires and cover. I didn't with my dash wire and it found metal %)

My-Bronco,
Looks clean!! did you replace your glove box with fiberglass? The one currently in there seems to be heavy cardboard. The side mount looks to be the most functional.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
69Early said:
My-Bronco,
Looks clean!! did you replace your glove box with fiberglass? The one currently in there seems to be heavy cardboard. The side mount looks to be the most functional.
If yours is stock then it is heavy cardboard. Mine was completely missing so I made one out of heavy cardboard and duct tape. I intended it to be a temporary solution that has been there for several months now.

MI-Bronco

That's the plastic one JBG sells. I got rid of the cardboard one... as it sort of disintigrated when I touched it to pull off the old fuss panel.

The Plastic is sturdy and installed through the glove box opening.