• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Smokin-hot coil!

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Is it normal for the coil to be really hot! I replaced the stock coil w/an accel and I guess I never payed much attention to it before, but this thing is so hot you can't touch it. I cut the old plastic coil cover off and made ends and screwed them on. Just positive and neg. so I don't think it's wrong.

What do you think??

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
first thing that comes to mind, do you have a ballast resistor inline before it? you may be getting too much voltage to it.

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
I didn't add a resistor....would it have been part of the stock harness? Where can I get a resistor and what side would I mount it. Thanks

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Stock has a resister wire for power to the coil. You can get coils that need the resister or that don't. It shold say on the coil. To see if you have the resister wire use a volt meter. The (+) wire will read about 6 volts if you have the resister wire, also it has thick pink insulation.

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
I will need to get a meter...I've needed for a while anyway..

Would it run fine w/out the resistor, I took it for quick blast last night, and it seemed to run fine - just the coil was hot.

The pink insulation - do you mean the coil or the resistor? Sorry for all the questions!!

Thanks,
Mike

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
No problem, It should work great until it burns up. I was talking about the (+) wire going from the ign. switch to the coil (+). The wire is the resister. If you have the stock wiring you will have 2 wires on the (+) side of the coil the pink one and one coming from your starter solenoid (I) terminal to the (+) on the coil. The (I) wire gives the coil a full 12 volts while you are cranking the eng.

69 Bronco

Loc.
Aurora
I bought an Accel resistor less coil and it still got really hot and quit working, so I got another one and used the wire and no problems since.

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Was the second coil with a resistor or with out? I'm about to return this coil (Accel #8140) - they said it could be defective - they also think it had a resistor.

Hey Chuck - Do I Meter that wire w/out the coil hooked up? As for the wiring, I had the original plastic clip w/the 2 wires(+ on rt side and I thought - on left), I cut the plastic clip and made ends, making sure the positive was hooked up correctly. It's like baby steps when your not familiar with something!!!!!!

Thanks

BYUBRONC

Loc.
Bermuda Dunes, CA
If you turn the key to the on position and dont start it, points are closed and the coil will get hot, if its the factory wiring you should have a resistor wire. Actually the coil may be able to handle the 12 volts, however the points can't and you will burn them out soon.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
If the points are fully closed the coil will over heat until it fails. If the points are partly open the points will most likely burn open.
Check the volts either way