• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

So Headers or not and what knid? Help!!!

firemotts

I bought a 1973 302 in Dec. My list is growing fast. My exhaust is next on the list.So headers or not? Flowmasters or not? 2 or 3 chamber?
What kind if headers? Or a newer exhaust manifold? Anyway, can anyone send advice. Wildhorse have the shorts for sale, has anyone bought them?
Thanks

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I like wheel well as you can do trans work,change cluch and never touch the header. No heat on the starter Im on my second set since 74 they needed to be replaced in 86 But there my choice you mite not like them look at all the different ones and go for the ones you like best good luck. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I run fenderwell headers also Hooker p/n 9814 I'm also on my second set in about 25+ years and I highly recommend having them ceramic coated they cost more than most of the others but will clear any transmission and dont need to be taken apart for any tranny work. the only down sides are they are not ideal for serious rock crawling they cost a little more than the others. If going with headers I would always lean towards the long tube type as they build more torque and get better mileage over the shorty types. the shorty types are basically just a better flowing stock exhaust manifold with most people seen little or no gain partaily because the rest of the exhaust system is usually to big for there engine and RPM range. Stay with 2 1/4" pipes unless you have a engine that is built and is going to see a lot of RPM
here's some pics of my headers theyre not real good pic's but should give you a idea of the routing of fenderwell headers. these headers have been on for about 8 years at the time of these pic's in late 04 they still look the same today.

Attachments

• d side bottom.jpg
    d side bottom.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 94
  • p side.jpg
    p side.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 84
  • p side bottom.jpg
    p side bottom.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 82

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The two 2.5" pipes into 1 magnaflow with one 3" out pipe added 11 hp to a stock EFI 351 so I think the bigger pipes are O.K.
P.S. Thats after my headers added 28 hp.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
chuck said:
The two 2.5" pipes into 1 magnaflow with one 3" out pipe added 11 hp to a stock EFI 351 so I think the bigger pipes are O.K.
P.S. Thats after my headers added 28 hp.
What did you have before Chuck? Thanks.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
We used Patric's EB for testing. To start with he had duel 2.25" hope he corrects me because I don't recall what the mufflers were. We first had it dyno'ed then installed the headers and reduced down to his head pipe size and dyno'ed again then re[laced the exhaust pipes and dyno'ed again.
The horse power increase was a big supprize to me becaused I designed the headers and exhaust to fit the EB with 302, 351 and all the trans I could find. I was doing the dyno to prove I was not reducing the output. I am sure the hp gain would very from engine to engine and we only tested the one 351 EFI.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
chuck said:
We used Patric's EB for testing. To start with he had duel 2.25" hope he corrects me because I don't recall what the mufflers were. We first had it dyno'ed then installed the headers and reduced down to his head pipe size and dyno'ed again then re[laced the exhaust pipes and dyno'ed again.
The horse power increase was a big supprize to me becaused I designed the headers and exhaust to fit the EB with 302, 351 and all the trans I could find. I was doing the dyno to prove I was not reducing the output. I am sure the hp gain would very from engine to engine and we only tested the one 351 EFI.
That's a healthy increase. :cool:

MeanGreen75

Loc.
southwest WI
bronco6769 said:
Do you have any pics of these installed? I'm looking for something like those but I also have a 351W and 3" body lift.

The passenger side comes straight back and should be easy enough to hook a pipe up to. The drivers side will be a little bit trickier. I saved some room by putting a hydraulic clutch set up on it, but the pipe will still make a decent bend down.

Last edited:

tsmustangs

Loc.
All Over
Lincoln

I used the headers off of a 92 Lincoln LSC. I know your all thinking Huh???

But Ford put shorty Headers and Dual exhaust on the 5.0 EFI motors in the 88-92 lincoln LSC. (Not exactly the best design. But factory is factory) I used the exhaust as the motor is not ready to go in yet but I also have the motor out of the same car. Just couldn't wait to have the exhaust done.

Terry