• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Soft top fit OR lack of

buckstone

Loc.
los angeles, ca
i installed a kayline soft top on the 76 bronco the other week - came with the po. it's a bit beat up (esp the windows) but it fits pretty snug, with single exception of driver side window, where there is about a 1/2" gap between the vertical window strut and the black soft top bar (to which the top snaps onto). that said, it still beats the heck out of the bikini top - made the "winter" switch a few weeks ago after being drenched in a freak rainstorm while driving out of death valley.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I have an STC top with zip out windows. Like everyone said, it doesn't fit nearly as well as the Jeep tops, but in my case it seals pretty well and I don't have any problems keeping water out. Despite the imperfect fit I still love having a soft top and would never go back to a hard top. The zip out windows are very nice. Of course I live in a warm weather state so it never gets cold enough for a soft top to be a problem. As long as it keeps to occasional rain out of the cab I'm happy. In fact, my hard top used to leak like crazy through the top of the windshield frame, but after I installed my soft top no more problems.

tbrend

Loc.
God's Country (Iowa)
So basically if I want a soft top, I have to deal with something that doesn't fit perfect, it will require modification, and will have to be pampered to keep it looking good?

That sounds like the Bronco I drive!

kidduniversity

Loc.
Statesville
I have an old kayline and I am upset that it does not want to strap down in the rear and the large gaps around the doors but now i know form this post that I need the weather striping. Wha tdo I do with the fact it does not want to close in the rear. It barely wants to zip down adn I can still see into the cab. I have 2 hard tops I am restoring, but I want a soft top too. I have designed a bikini top and a soft top cover for the bed area just working on geting it made. Should I get another soft top or forget it. I am thinking of geting rid of it and just keep the hard top and bikin combo top idea.

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
Cougar said:
Does anyone have any feedback concerning the new Bestop product? I know it was asked earlier in the thread, but no one has responded yet. %)

I have the new tined Bestop. It does not fold down but I'm very happy with the fit. Its what I'd expected and has been tested in a heavy rain with no leaks.

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Cougar said:
Does anyone have any feedback concerning the new Bestop product? I know it was asked earlier in the thread, but no one has responded yet. %)

I just put one one. Overall its pretty good, however I think there areas that can be improved upon. One big item would be to add a bow or bows between the doors. I can't get mine to tighten up in the center (the sides are tight), thus it sags slightly at rest and billows while moving. While raining this sag can catch some water and dump it on you when you enter. I'm a little worried what effect a couple of inches of snow will have.

The sides also flap and can use more than one strap to the diag. brace. I may do this myself.

JP

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
ROKDWLR said:
I have the new tined Bestop. It does not fold down but I'm very happy with the fit. Its what I'd expected and has been tested in a heavy rain with no leaks.

What would it take to fold it down? Is it just a PITA or does it really not fold down?
Does the back window on the Bestop zip out like the sides do, or just roll up?
What about the STC?

72bronco

Bronco Guru
Sac '68 sport said:
What would it take to fold it down? Is it just a PITA or does it really not fold down?
Does the back window on the Bestop zip out like the sides do, or just roll up?
What about the STC?

On the STC the back and side windows all zip out. The top itself can also be folded down.