• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Someone help me pick a rear diff

GYShah

Loc.
Columbia, SC
Have a '73 with 33 in tires and am planning on upgrading to disc brakes
The PO put a mini spool in the rear but Im only gonna go off road about 5 pecent of the time so mainly road driving with the once a year snow here in SC.
Thinking about upgrading to a 31 spline and 35 in tires so a limited slip type makes the most sense for me.
But which one?? Liked the Truetrac but is it ok on 35 in tires?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If your driving is is on the street, an open diff is the best, especially if you get much rail and ice. I have been using the Yukon posi. It comes in two different tensions. I chose the mild one and it still will do a 180 on a wet surface if you're not careful.:eek:

markperry

Bronco Guru
I just bought a dropin from Tom's. It has a Detroit locker in it and so far so good on the street, but then again I haven't driven it on snow and ice. I figure it can't be much different than the stock limited slip on slick surfaces?

I would recomend upgrading your axles to 31 spline along with the dropin if you go that route.

OP
OP
GYShah

GYShah

Loc.
Columbia, SC
Thanks definitely going with the 31 axle
I've already had trouble with the 28 spline axle and mini spool
Which is why I want to set up the rear axle just right for me.
I'd rather spend the money now then have to re-do it later so I'm willing to spend more for the right diff now
Still can't tell which will best handle 35 in tires and be the least hassle for me down the road...

Ranchtruck

Least hassle will be a truetrac. No binding, no sudden unloading with a bang, no tire wear, and no unpredictable handling. You can get them to perform close to a locker by riding the e-brake if you have a wheel lifted.

The stock clutch type limited slips tend to wear out quick if you do much wheeling with wheels in the air.

Detroit lockers work great offroad, but the street manners can be annoying.

OP
OP
GYShah

GYShah

Loc.
Columbia, SC
That's exactly what I was thinking but I'm learning as I go and don't want to make a mistake!
Will the trutrac work with 35 tires?
Or would I be better off with something like an air locker?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you went with a limited slip the 28 splines would be ok, the spool on the street is tough on things. Auburn makes a great limited slip. Def 31s with any kind of locker i had a Detroit soft locker with 31 axles and 35s never had an issue. Air locker the best route but it can get expensive. But it s only money. Ha

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Least hassle will be a truetrac. No binding, no sudden unloading with a bang, no tire wear, and no unpredictable handling. You can get them to perform close to a locker by riding the e-brake if you have a wheel lifted.

The stock clutch type limited slips tend to wear out quick if you do much wheeling with wheels in the air.

Detroit lockers work great offroad, but the street manners can be annoying.

X2

It will be fine with 35's.
There are a few different manufacturers who make this style differential. Torsen (who is also a big OEM supplier), Quaffi, and more.

The nice thing is they are like an open diff when off the power. I remember having one in a front wheel drive car and cresting an icy hill in Texas at 70MPH just to see traffic stopped (and discovered the ice). On the brakes I could watch the speedometer drop to half speed as one wheel locked and th other didn't, just like an open diff would. But get on the power and it would go. You can cheat the diff if you lift a tire by doing a little (park) brake action while on the power to fool a load and make it bite.