• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sourcing Chevy Disc Brake Swap Parts

broncbuster

Does any one know if the backing plates and spindles for a chevy disc brake swap have to come from a Dana 44 or if they can also come from the corporate 10 bolt front axle? I believe the 10 bolt started being used around 1976.

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
The interwebs tell me the 10 bolt spindle is the same as the 77 and later GM Dana 44. So, no bueno. But, the interwebs have been wrong before.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
iirc, the ten bolt spindle has to be turned to make it work, it can be done, but in order to come ahead you would need to get it done for free. I don't remember about the backing plates. you should be able to search on here and find that information, that is where I think I found it last time. new 44 spindles are not that expensive. also you can find backing plates pretty cheap, sure someone on here has some they will sell you. look at horsepower sales on ebay, I think that is the correct name. its early I don't remember much lol.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The newer spindles have the wrong inner bearing. Commonly refered to as the large bearing spindle. There is enough material there to machine it, but there is the time and (unless access to a metal lathe and know how to run it) the expense of machining the spindle.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
These parts are getting harder to find... Especially in the bay area, no yard has or wants to keep something that old on the lot.

Then there is PnP... Nickel and dime you for every little piece and charge you a core charge on top of that for anything made of aluminum... :eek:

Put a shut out in the parts wanted section...

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I used the larger spindles and machined the hubs to accept the larger bearings. But I have a buddy with a lathe.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't have anything to add based on your question. But, how soon do you need it? I will have backing plates, spindles, calipers, and hoses for sale in a few weeks. Converting mine from the Chevy stuff to all Ford to run RCV axles. I'm a few weeks away from the install. If interested PM me.