• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spare tire holder alteration

chaosrob

Apparently the previous owner wanted to make sure he had some extra fuel on the trail. Could have been cleaner but still think it is pretty cool to see some of the mods people did back in the day. The vintage carpet is nice as well :D

N4MY5rq.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, cool mod.
At least your guy extended it out so the gas can wouldn’t obscure the tail light. I kept my stock one intact but bought a longer one mounted to the stock location for that reason.
Used a ConFer fuel can mount and it just cleared the lamp.
Luckily I had a small spare tire so didn’t need to extend it out so far as to block the license plate.

OP
OP
chaosrob

chaosrob

Correct. The holder was removed and in the back seat when I bought the truck. I am going to have to find a latch for it, hopefully a used one as I want to keep this thing patina'd and new parts to a minimum

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What? No polished stainless steel or chrome? That's no fun!;)
Just kidding of course. I've got so few shiny bits on mine that they look like they have patina even where they don't. I like the white too. Is that Wimbledon?
Truck is new to you? Any other details? Looks a bit rough around the edges, but that's half the fun of going through these things sometimes.

So have fun!

Paul

OP
OP
chaosrob

chaosrob

What? No polished stainless steel or chrome? That's no fun!;)
Just kidding of course. I've got so few shiny bits on mine that they look like they have patina even where they don't. I like the white too. Is that Wimbledon?
Truck is new to you? Any other details? Looks a bit rough around the edges, but that's half the fun of going through these things sometimes.

So have fun!

Paul
I am past the chrome stage, except for the back of my head at this point.
It is indeed Wimbledon White
I picked this up non running from a couple from Oregon A couple weeks ago. It has been off the rood since 08 iirc. It is back up and running now and I will be throwing vintage air in it this weekend. I have records going back to 78 on it and the mileage appears correct at ~40k from the records and the previous owners statement but who knows for sure. It was his back road fishing rig. Truck is a 302 auto, disk front, drum rear, PS, "HD" according to the Marti Report. It has a few bumps and bruises and surface rust but no holes or weak metal or patches/bondo.

I love the patin on this thing. My plan is to get it back up to speed mechanically add some insulation and carpet, add power brakes, add overdrive and clear coat over the patina once I clean up the paint a bit and neutralize the surface rust.

OP
OP
chaosrob

chaosrob

We need more pictures!
Although I love it I doubt that it will be anything special to the masses.

Things I have done so far:
Replaced all fuel hoses
Replaced fuel pump
Replaced broken passenger vent window
replaced window felts and weather stripping
replaced the old dry rotten tires

Still have a lot to do.

eU64j2u.jpg
cd4vkdH.jpg
dU0po9q.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Whatchoo takin' 'bout Willis?!?
We don't need no stinking show winners. We love 'em all no matter the condition. Especially when it's a new-to-the-forum model.

So, a '76 is it? Is it a very early one? What month was it built?
I see what I think is the early style charcoal canister plumbing coming up from underneath. At some point during the '76 model year they changed to the newer style mounted to the firewall and got rid of the condensing tank in the cab. Getting ready for the new regulations for the '77 or '78 model year.

And is that a full-coverage Sport floor mat in black? If so, it's one of the few I've ever seen. And all of those (like maybe one or two before yours) have been here on the forum!

Yep, it's a cool rig. Love seeing it now, because it'll be even cooler when you just gussy it up a bit (cleaning the cobwebs in other words) and get to driving it.
Going to attend any events with it?

paul

OP
OP
chaosrob

chaosrob

Whatchoo takin' 'bout Willis?!?
We don't need no stinking show winners. We love 'em all no matter the condition. Especially when it's a new-to-the-forum model.

So, a '76 is it? Is it a very early one? What month was it built?
I see what I think is the early style charcoal canister plumbing coming up from underneath. At some point during the '76 model year they changed to the newer style mounted to the firewall and got rid of the condensing tank in the cab. Getting ready for the new regulations for the '77 or '78 model year.

And is that a full-coverage Sport floor mat in black? If so, it's one of the few I've ever seen. And all of those (like maybe one or two before yours) have been here on the forum!

Yep, it's a cool rig. Love seeing it now, because it'll be even cooler when you just gussy it up a bit (cleaning the cobwebs in other words) and get to driving it.
Going to attend any events with it?

paul
It's a 74 sport.
I am assuming it is a bedliner of some type the previous owner had sprayed on the floor and roof of the top. I was concerned that it may be coering rust issues before I bought it but crawling underneath showed solid, original floors.
I will probably take it to some meets in the future, time allowing.

PO had a new windshield put in this thing and they couldn't figure out to put the chrome trim back on. Any suggestions?
Thank you for the kind words

OP
OP
chaosrob

chaosrob

Love the dead bug in the speedo! LOL
yup, been there a long time from the looks of it, his thing was stored a very long time. The rubber hoses degraded at the tanks and the po thought the fuel pump went bad. He removed the mechanical fuel pump and tried installing an electric one to no avail and it set since ~'08. He bought it in 99 and put 2k miles on it from 99 until the fuel issue. Thankfully it was placed in a storage unit until he moved it to the barn on his property.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
Thanks for the pictures ! All broncos are special in my book and yours is no exception with white color, a sport packeage , and a 1974 what could be any better! 1974 is my favorite year bronco "I share a birth date."That looks like a nice one have fun keep us posted we love pictures.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru

eU64j2u.jpg

dU0po9q.jpg
Said no one one here ever, lol. Nice solid rig, congrats! They’re all welcome here - whether they crawl, cruise, camp or do any of things they were born to do. The important thing is it’s back among the living and getting ready to take you on all the adventures it’s missed out on the last 14 years. Enjoy the ride!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Apparently the previous owner wanted to make sure he had some extra fuel on the trail. Could have been cleaner but still think it is pretty cool to see some of the mods people did back in the day. The vintage carpet is nice as well :D

N4MY5rq.jpg

haha, that's alright LOL

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Correct. The holder was removed and in the back seat when I bought the truck. I am going to have to find a latch for it, hopefully a used one as I want to keep this thing patina'd and new parts to a minimum

Make it yours brother..