• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spark Plug Wire question

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Ok, this might be a silly question but can the spark plug wires be reversed? Meaning the part that normally goes on the spark plug go on the distributor cap and vice-versa?

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Some of my plugs are hitting the headers so wondering if I can flip them until I can find a set of wires that will fit better.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If they fit that way they will work.

Wires are not polarity sensitive.

In a pinch I have even used stranded copper 18 gauge wire as a plug wire. Worked fine until the insulation started melting and would arc through. But it did keep the engine running for about another 15 miles.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Thanks for the info guys. The wires I got have a huge boot on them but I have seen smaller sets of wires so I am planning to look for a better set. I was hoping for the immediate desire to get this running, I could flip them and it sounds like I can as long as there is still protection from arcing and heat which there is.