• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

sparks fly and i dont want to fry anything

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
my stock 70 302 bronco failed to start a month ago, it just clicked once as if battery was totally dead, i disconnected the pos and neg cables to battery and reconnected and it started.. then just last week it did it again, i figured the switch was going out so i changed it and the battery cables. i am pretty sure i connected everthing back up to switch correctly but now when i try to connect the battery cables back up it sparks so hard it leaves a spark mark on the battery post.. .. maybe i connected something up wrong from the alternator to the switch and ground i am not sure.. there are two black wires coming out of the atlernator harness of wires along with the others.. are they both ground or what.. all help would be great..

OP
OP
stock1970

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
i figured it out.. i took all the old electrical tape off of the wiring on back of alternator and it turns out the two black wires i was worried about were one wire. someone had taped up with the rest.. this wire went from the ground on the block to the fender bold that the switch uses.. i removed that and hooked it all back up and held the neg cable on the battery and the bronco was trying to start.. i put the old switch back on and everything is good it turns out the new switch i purchased was stuck to the on position.. who would have thought that the new part was the bad part.. lol..