• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speaker wire pinched in door, how to prevent?

erics667

Morning!
I installed some new speakers in the old holes in the door and rewired them. I added the rubber grommet to the hole say they wouldn't catch and fray etc but they've slowly been getting chopped up and pinched when the door closes on it. Was there a way to prevent the door from cutting into my wire? FYI I have the wire running through the velcro style door strap. I could drill through from inside the footwell through to the front door jamb but that's a last resort....
Thanks so much!
Eric

SHX669

Bronco Guru
In the past I have used a piece of heat shrink tubing about 6" long on the wiring at the door contact point. I also used a piece of plastic tubing over that to give the wiring a way to slide in and out.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've seen some van doors with factory speakers/window defrost wires/back up cameras.

The hole in the door is offset from the hole in the body. The wires (run inside a protective boot) have a fairly long vertical dogleg in them. This lets them twist as the door opens.

Look at the back doors of newer design vans. Transits, Sprinters, NVs and see how they deal with wiring an external hinged door.

OP
OP
E

erics667

I've seen some van doors with factory speakers/window defrost wires/back up cameras.

The hole in the door is offset from the hole in the body. The wires (run inside a protective boot) have a fairly long vertical dogleg in them. This lets them twist as the door opens.

Look at the back doors of newer design vans. Transits, Sprinters, NVs and see how they deal with wiring an external hinged door.

Good Idea!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
On the bronco I just ran the bare wires and never had a problem. When I rewire my 72 suburban doors. I bit the cool stainless things they use on hot rods. They have a stainless ring or grommet that mounts on each side with a flexible stainless tube that slides between em. Got em at the hot rod swap meet and don't think there's a brand name on em. Maybe somebody on here knows brand or where to order online.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One of the vendors sells limiting straps that have a pouch for wires inside of it. I can't for the life of me figure out which one. I own them though. Very handy.

OP
OP
E

erics667

One of the vendors sells limiting straps that have a pouch for wires inside of it. I can't for the life of me figure out which one. I own them though. Very handy.

That's what I have but it's the piece between the end of the strap and the door that is getting pinched :(

o2bnmud

If you go high up in the door jam, you can drill a hole and the wire will come out right behind the dash without going into the wheel well. If the wire is in some sheathing it will slide in and out of the door if you use a plastic snap grommet. You could also zip tie a small spring to the wire inside the door to pull the wire in when closed.

I have done this several times and never had any problems, even with 6 wires going into the door, speaker, alarm LED, and power door lock acuator

OP
OP
E

erics667

If you go high up in the door jam, you can drill a hole and the wire will come out right behind the dash without going into the wheel well. If the wire is in some sheathing it will slide in and out of the door if you use a plastic snap grommet. You could also zip tie a small spring to the wire inside the door to pull the wire in when closed.

I have done this several times and never had any problems, even with 6 wires going into the door, speaker, alarm LED, and power door lock acuator

Ah hah! I really like the spring idea. Going to try that! Thanks!!!

DaveLev

When using the painless 'wireless' contact option, if you have the stereo on and you open the door the music will die. I'm no expert on stereo systems, but I cannot imagine that breaking the contact between the speakers and the head unit is in any way good for the head unit. I would think the break in impedance or current flow would upset the radio. Then again, I may be very, very wrong.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
It doesn't hurt the radio to go open-circuit on the speaker outputs. Shorting those wires is worse, but most modern radios have built-in protection against shorting.

But just arranging the wires so they don't pinch & break is still cheaper, quicker, more reliable, and more functional than those contacts.