• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speakers in the kick panel

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I decided to "delete" the fresh air intake for the heater/defroster for a couple reasons. Mainly because I never put the top on and secondly, because I plan to use that hood vent as a cold air intake. So, I decided to put a speaker in that existing hole in the passenger kick panel and cut a duplicate hole on the driver's side. Turns out a 6.5 in speaker fits in the existing hole perfectly, so I cut the driver's kick panel to match. I am using some JBL three way speakers insulated with Boom Mat and covered with a stainless steel dog dish. I know the dog dish is low brow, but it works great and the speakers sound great. Just thought I would share with the group. I'll add more pictures when it is complete. I mocked everything up, but didn't take a lot of pictures, then disassembled it before I send it off for paint and Rhino.

Attachments

• IMG_0709.jpg
    IMG_0709.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 300

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not just great, but perfect! I say low brow works perfectly on EB's.
The only thing on a Bronco that won't rust even if it's not painted too.;):cool:
Using bigger ones might even add some base or change the tone of the speakers. I'm thinking of re-routing my heater intake to a more vertical plane and eliminating the plastic maze. Going to use the hole for a speaker too, but likely going to make (or source) a slightly larger panel for a larger reflector area. I would think there's room for quite a bit of extra size on both sides of the truck if the antenna is not in the way on the driver's side. Which mine isn't, because it never had a factory antenna over there.

Let us know how it works out. Looks good for sure.

Paul

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
There's definitely plenty of room between the kick panel and the fender Dirt. I don't have an antennae either, so it wasn't an issue. As you can see, I did have to pull the parking brake to get in there, but that had to come out anyhow for the Rhino. I am thinking of installing some small tweeters on the sides of the bed where the half cab bulkhead would bolt in, the side facing the rear of the bed. I think I can flush mount them using a 2 inch hole saw. I'll keep adding pics to this thread to keep everyone up to speed.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you put some sort of coating on the dog dish they will sound better. Music doesn't do well off metal and especially stainless. Dynmat type stuff or even just bend liner type stuff. Looks good though!

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Thanks Duff. I'll do that for sure. I'm using some stuff called boom mat in there as well. It's a foam cup designed a little larger than the speaker. It goes in the hole first, then the speaker. Helps insulate against rattling, but I understand what you're saying. Those bowls sound like a steel guitar. LOL

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Inner diameter is about 9 inches, but 7 or 8 would have been plenty. I'm going to undercoat the outside of the bowl even though they are quality SS, as well as seam seal them to the kick panel.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Scuffed and coated the bowls today. I'm waiting until after paint and Rhino before I install them and the speakers.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 105

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm always a fan of bigger is better when it comes to speaker enclosures. So your larger size is good, and so the biggest you could get in there is good too.

Paul

Kbpony

That looks good. I did something similar, only I left the fresh air duct in place and just cut speaker holes in the kick panels. I was able to find some Rubbermaid containers that fit over the speakers well and I plan to undercoat them eventually.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Mocked up the bowls after coating them, big surprise that undercoating doesn't want to stick to the SS, even after scuffing it. Guess I'll have to figure something else out.

Attachments

• IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 112