• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedbleeder leaking

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Bought MotorMite "Help brand" #12701 which I believe is correct. The rears were extremely difficult to stop leaking. I've got them cranked down a ton and just noticed that they still seem leak a tiny bit. Any tighter and they strip or snap off!

Anyone else have this issue? 1977 with stock rear drums here

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You probably have a chunk of something under the wedge part. Or is it leaking out the port?

OP
OP
Shimmy

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
You probably have a chunk of something under the wedge part. Or is it leaking out the port?

Leaking out the port. This is my first time using speed bleeders. I use mityvac on my other cars that pushes fluid thru from the reservoir.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
I tried speed bleeders on the rear drums on my 68 Cougar years ago. They leaked like a sieve. I got rid of them.

67 Halfcab

Mine don't leak, but I splurged the 17 bucks and bought the fancy Russell name brand ones. :p

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
I switched my '78 over to speedbleeders and had issues with certain brands leaking, wish I could remember which ones. It was solved by using Russell Performance ones. They don't leak at all and work great. I got them at Summit.

Buy a couple of brands and then compare them to your originals, you will see that they vary slightly.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm getting ready to do some brake work and was planning on adding speed bleeder. Is there a brand to buy that doesn't leak or have issues?or am I better off with stock bleeder screws?

71 CA Bronco

Times 3 for Russell speed bleeders that do NOT leak. ;D

I could never get a good pedal until I went with speed bleeders. They really helped on my rig. Next to using a pressure bleeder I think they are the best option.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Russell Speed Bleeders seem to be the most consistent from what I've seen. As for the others, I've had several where the seating/sealing surface wasn't concentric with the centerline of the fitting, so they would never seal until I modified them in a lathe and made the sealing surface concentric with the threads.

DC_Gearhead

Does anyone know which Russell speed bleeders to order for the GM front discs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Seems like half the posts with mechanical problems is now related to quality control issues on parts. How disappointing. :(

tripog

Seems like half the posts with mechanical problems is now related to quality control issues on parts. How disappointing. :(

seems to be the case, i used the dorman speed bleeders recently and they worked fine for me.