• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spider gears - how long to install

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
I was wanting to know how long it should take to install spider gears into a 44 and what all is involved in doing that. Trying to get the beast ready for SOB...

Last edited:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Awnrie69 said:
I was wanting to know how long it should take to install spider gears into a 44 and what all is involved in doing that. Trying to get the beast ready for SOB...
3 or 4 hours as long as you know what your doing. (This can actually be cut down to a couple of hours if you've replaced the axles a few times) Most of the time will be taking the hubs off and axles out. Actually installing the spider gears is pretty easy on a Dana 44 since the ring and pinion doesn't need to be set up again afterwards. Are you planning to have someone else do it? If so let me know if you need someone to do it.

OP
OP
A

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
I had someone who was going to help me do it... he is a chevy person though and someone told him thati t would be an all day job because the set up is different??? each time we try to work on it something comes up and we are not able to do it. i was hoping to have it done the last couple of weekends and she still is not fixed. If after this weekend she still is not done, I was going to try doing it myself... I hate waiting to the last minute.. By the way, when were you planning on being at sand lake for SOB

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Awnrie69 said:
I had someone who was going to help me do it... he is a chevy person though and someone told him thati t would be an all day job because the set up is different??? each time we try to work on it something comes up and we are not able to do it. i was hoping to have it done the last couple of weekends and she still is not fixed. If after this weekend she still is not done, I was going to try doing it myself... I hate waiting to the last minute.. By the way, when were you planning on being at sand lake for SOB
I'll probably arrive Wednesday. If your planning to make the trail run friday there is a sign up for it over at BroncoFix since the run is going to start before the registration is open.
http://broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?t=269674

As far as the spider gears they should be the same as long as they are both Dana 44's. The carrier is just on the opposite side.

OP
OP
A

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
I was thinking about arriving on Wed or Thurs... took the whole week off work. I would like to do the trail run, but I just don't want to be a pain in the a** I think I need some more experience before going in a big group..

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Awnrie69 said:
I was thinking about arriving on Wed or Thurs... took the whole week off work. I would like to do the trail run, but I just don't want to be a pain in the a** I think I need some more experience before going in a big group..
The best way to get experience is with a group. That way those with more experience can help out if you have troubles. This year we will be doing at least 2 (and probably 3) different groups friday that will probably be different difficulty levels. (I still need to lay out the routes) As far as being a PITA you will not be. We are also starting the runs several hours earlier this year to make it more relaxed. (Last year it was close to 4 PM before we actually got to the trails and this year it should be around 11 AM)

BTW, not sure if you saw my other post but my youngest will be happy to hear that you will be there this year.

OP
OP
A

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
Georgia (my daughter) will be excited to see her as well. A friend of a friend is suppose to do my front end tomorrow.. The good news is that it should be done... the bad news is that I won't be there to see how it is done to learn for the future.