• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sport Model 1977

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
evl -

very cool letter, but help me see where it indicates it is a Sport model ?

Specs very close to what I have other than the gearing

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
evl -

very cool letter, but help me see where it indicates it is a Sport model ?

Specs very close to what I have other than the gearing

It appears that his as well as 77BroncoWag's were originally Special Decor Group Broncos. Some of those were Sports, some weren't.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
It appears that his as well as 77BroncoWag's were originally Special Decor Group Broncos. Some of those were Sports, some weren't.
>> exactly ............ in the end it don't matter if it's a ranger,sport ,explorer or special decor since none ever did anything extra to the drivetrain.............

77sale3.jpg

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Gearing make no differance. The sport package is basically a decor option nothing more. Also in 77 some broncos left the factory not quite in full form as far as the package goes as parts were no longer being produced so you can be missing some items or have slightly different ones as I believe there were some stripe added on some in place of the missing beltline trim. There seems to be no real 100% manditory all sport items as there are differances during all the years no matter what the factory brochures say.
Basically a sport package is supposed to include the following
Chrome bumpers
argent grill W moulding
Bright bezels
bright moulding on all windows
chrome tailgate handle
hub caps
bright grill letters
sport emblem on fenders
white headliner w/chrome retainer
vinyl door panels with bright trim
vinyl parchment color floor mat
Non glare finish horn ring
Cigarette lighter

Actually the Ranger package did require drivetrain upgrade. All Ranger modles will have the HD suspension and locking rear axle unless they had the rear seat delete but then you just should have bought a sport

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Actually the Ranger package did require drivetrain upgrade. All Ranger modles will have the HD suspension and locking rear axle unless they had the rear seat delete but then you just should have bought a sport

>>>> you've said this before more than once & it's simply not true..... there was a minimum requirement with a back seat & that's it ...... the heaviest spring/tire option & locking rear option was totally separate...... 1977 for instance had 3 GVWR package 4400,4600 & 4900... 4600lbs was the minimum requirement for a back seat equiped bronco.....
77sale4.jpg

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Like I said what left the factory doesnt alway match the brochures but in multiple places in mulitple brochures(not the fancy 2 page color ones everyone posts the actual dealer sales options ones) the Ranger option requires the rear seat which required upgraded suspension and included a trac lok axle ie 3300lb axle.(thats how I understand it anyways) Now some years had lower axle ratings due to bearing and brake sizes but a Ranger package was supposed to have all the HD equipment.
The minimum required GVW of 4450 or what ever it happened to be that year was required when a rear seat was ordered on a base model.
So drivetrain up grade is a part of the Ranger package wether it actually got the highest or not is all that seems to be in question.
All the Rangers I've seen do have the highest axle rating and the HD spring package eitherway a Ranger was supposed to have a drivetrain upgrade over a base model. if not then I'd say the purchaser got shafted.
So I'll stick with what I have said in the past about the Ranger. Am I 100% right no but I'm not wrong either. Far more Rangers left the factory with all the HD stuff than light duty stuff.
And just so you know My 73 Ranger didnt come with the Ranger emblem on the glovebox door and it has a T shift Tcase.

Last edited:

coreyvan77

I'll just throw out that my 77 has the tape decor and the rocker moldings. So they must have mixed and matched a bit. Also is a "ranger" and "sport" package for what it's worth.

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
yes nowhere on the build sheet does it say sport model but there are a few mistakes in the typing (dark bright metalic paint??)
I think it was supposed to be dark blue met paint, and (bright) was for the trim package. thats what I think. any way it's a 77 sport with bright trim.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Far more Rangers left the factory with all the HD stuff than light duty stuff.

>>>>>>>> that's probably true ,but the ranger dress up package itself never included the heaviest GVWR rating spring/tire package & trac-loc diff....... anyway, you can believe what you want

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As can you. And as far as "never" well my 73 has the heaviest and trac lok as do most Rangers. Might want to revise your choice of words. We all know you cant say never with what left the factory. I've already conceded that they may not all have the heaviest but they were upgraded from base. Which was the point in the first place.
I'll have to get my scanner working those color brochures you all post dont tell the complete story. They are only sales pitches to the public not actual ins and outs.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Like I said what left the factory doesnt alway match the brochures but in multiple places in mulitple brochures(not the fancy 2 page color ones everyone posts the actual dealer sales options ones) the Ranger option requires the rear seat which required upgraded suspension and included a trac lok axle ie 3300lb axle.
-- here's a fancy 6 page 1973 brochure for your truck that also says nothing about the ranger package including the heaviest GVWR package & trac-lok, but it does say it requires a minimum 4450 package with a rear seat ------------------------------------------------------------
73sales2.JPG
---
73sales1.JPG
---
73sales3.JPG
---
73sales4.JPG
---
73sales5.JPG
--
73sales6.JPG

Last edited: