• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spray or not to spray?

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
I think I know the answer, but I'll throw it out the questions anyway. After the front axle is back in place, would it be a wise choice to have the interior sprayed with spray on liner? I've had several truck beds sprayed by the same local company, pleased with the end results and the truck sits unmolested, I'm thinking this is the time to have the interior sprayed. Any thoughts or unforeseen issues? Thank you...

Attachments

• IMG_1394.JPG
    IMG_1394.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 45

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I know the answer, but I'll throw it out the questions anyway. After the front axle is back in place, would it be a wise choice to have the interior sprayed with spray on liner? I've had several truck beds sprayed by the same local company, pleased with the end results and the truck sits unmolested, I'm thinking this is the time to have the interior sprayed. Any thoughts or unforeseen issues? Thank you...
I prefer epoxy paint, not a fan of bed liner for interior.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For the most part it is a non-reversible modification that makes any future work very difficult.
Very well known as a way to hide problems in the metal.
I have found Broncos that I liked, but the simple use of bedliner was enough I wasn't interested and walked away.
Doesn't add value, but can take it away.

Okie69

Contributor
I really like the body color tinted ones that some people do especially if it’s the noise reduction/insulation variety for trail oriented broncos or ones that have a good chance of getting rained in on occasion. I plan on doing something like this video to mine someday.

Not a big fan of the black bedliner in trucks…and mine has it.

If I was building a restomod or daily driver I would stay away from it and just use insulation and carpet and all that to try and quiet the Bronco down. Hopefully some of these random thoughts help!

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
considering your tub i'd go normal paint with insulation/pad and carpet.

but, your build your choice

71 CA Bronco

Broncos are rust buckets. I had one back in the early eighties with rusted out floor boards even in dry California. I understand the concern about hiding stuff. To address this issue I flipped mine over and took it to Linex to coat the bottom only. If someone was concerned about hiding stuff they can still look at the inside of the tub. I don't like it inside the truck but it sure helps prevent scratches. Especially when installing the roll cage. Don't ask me how I know that. :unsure:

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
My interior flooring was decent, not great. I went with a bedliner product and am happy with the results. I do think many of these decisions depend on what the overall build goal is and of course, personal preference.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Having the interior of my '78 Line-Xed was the best thing I ever did to it. But its always been a work and trail rig, so being able to hose out the interior is a nice feature.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I did the tinted Raptor liner with insulating beads and am very happy with it. You would be able to see if there were any repairs done to the floor as it doesn't hide much. It is just a fine texture and everyone that see's it says they really like it. It doesn't get too hot in the summer as the Hytech beads insulate it. I don't think it does much for noise, but I have 65 year old ears and probably not the best judge for that. Overall pleased with it and would do it again.

Attachments

• raptor 7.JPG
    raptor 7.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 53
  • raptor 4.JPG
    raptor 4.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 52

mustanggarage

Contributor
I chose to use lizard skin followed by bedliner. the lizard skin is excellent for reducing heat and sound. my truck has a 408 with long tube headers and I get remarkeably little heat in the cab. my feet get hotter in my 65 mustang. since the lizard skin needs a top coat to protect it from UV light I chose the tintable raptor liner. I suppose some people might balk at the liner but my tub is a complete brand new tub from northeast classic so I have photo documentation showing it has never had any rust anywhere, and I have no intention of selling it anyway. it makes for a tough floor that I can use with minimal worry, since I run a bikini top I do not want carpet to hold in moisture and cause rust so this was the best option for me.

IMG_6118.jpg

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I did the tinted Raptor liner with insulating beads and am very happy with it. You would be able to see if there were any repairs done to the floor as it doesn't hide much. It is just a fine texture and everyone that see's it says they really like it. It doesn't get too hot in the summer as the Hytech beads insulate it. I don't think it does much for noise, but I have 65 year old ears and probably not the best judge for that. Overall pleased with it and would do it again.
I just did the same with raptor and the insulating beads.. As you stated, its not near thick enough to hide repairs

OP
OP
gmduncan

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
Mudding days are over for me. Too many times I've been called in the middle of the night by drunk friends of mine that decided to go four-wheeling, ended up getting stuck and calling me to pull them out. I'm definitely spraying the underside of the truck.

thiswildbronco

I chose to spray Linex, both interior and underside because my original 46 year old tub had disintegrated and I now have all new sheet metal and I plan on this Bronco being rust-free for the next 46+ years. I avoided the engine bay and upper firewall - want to keep the look super-clean under the hood. I also plan on keeping this beast as quiet as I can with additional layers of sound deadener under carpet, in Q-panels & doors and under headliner. It will all be hidden under either carpet or panels except the rear wheel wells which have no liner and will help establish the feel of a painted tub interior.

I think that, depending on your usage, a liner can add a lot of protection, comfort and longevity. I'm hoping that it will have been worth the time and expense I went to.

Attachments

• IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9750.jpeg
    IMG_9750.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 27

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I am a fan of lining the inside I am not sa fan of lining the underside. if a future purchaser want to know if the bed lining id hiding something then can always look at the panels from the back side. make sure you sre solid in your desire as a properly prepped bed liner is extremely hard to remove if you change your mind

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did not say this in my previous post, but my bronco came with bed liner. i chiseled it out and it came out in big pieces., moisture could easily get trapped in between the metal and the liner. The tail gait liner came off in one piece. You will not find moisture trapped under epoxy paint, my bronco has been dipped in epoxy paint and sits that way today as it has since 2014 ish, smh.