• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spray Paint???

DJM75

Loc.
Washougal
<br> Hey anybody out there spary painted there vehicle then sanded it down to make it look decent? I know that a spray painted vehicle won't look as good as the professionally paited vehicle but I'm not too worried about it. With all the off-roading and such. ANybody have any tips on this? <br> Thank you,<br> Don

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
MOST people sand BEFORE they paint it ;D but I think I know what you mean. You can sand and buff most any paint to make it look better ( even a Maaco job ). What's your problem ? I am close and I'll help out a fellow Bronco owner.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
The only thing I would be concerned about is how long a rattle-can paint job would last. If you kept it waxed and such, it might last a long time. If you want a cheap paint job, it wouldn't cost you too much for some decent auto paint, borrow or buy a paint gun and spray it yourself. You could do a nice paint job for less than 300 doing it yourself in such a way that you wouldn't cry if it got dinged. Plus, you could say you painted it yourself. I am going to take the High School adult auto body class next summer so that I can use their paint booth to paint mine. Just what I would do....

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
yeah, I think I would go the "you spray yourself" route with a spray gun. better coverage,you can lay it on better, And would be cheaper than buying a couple cartons of spray cans.<br>

OP
OP
D

DJM75

Loc.
Washougal
[quote author=2badrotties link=board=5;threadid=11775;start=0#86570 date=1038435428]<br>MOST people sand BEFORE they paint it ;D but I think I know what you mean. You can sand and buff most any paint to make it look better ( even a Maaco job ). What's your problem ? I am close and I'll help out a fellow Bronco owner.<br>[/quote]<br><br>No problem. I'm just looking into options. ;D Don't you worry, I'm sure I'll be calling on you sometime this spring. ;D Let me know when you get your own paint shop set up. So I can get my truck painted. I can't wait for it too look good.<br> Don

bambam

Loc.
Salt Lake City, UT
you can get some very good results with spray paint. check out these pics of my friends computer done with spray paint.
paint101-t.jpg
<br>
paint101-u.jpg
<br>

dksroland

Loc.
springfield, mo.
I've Rattle Canned mine for years. Its cheap, and if you scratch it, just shoot it and its fixed. take your time and you can get a fairley decent looking paint job.You can make it shine with a high gloss color or over coat it with a clear gloss.<br>However if you want a showroom Proffesional grade paint job I would recomend going another route.<br>I've got an exciting project in the works concerning this topic right now.When I get it finished I'll have pics. and hopefully a tech article to go along.<br>The better my paint job, the more apt I am to take the road MOST traveled. <br> ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
D

DJM75

Loc.
Washougal
That is one shiny computer. Did he just spray it on or did he do some polishing after?<br> Don

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
If you are serious about doing a spray can job get in your car and drive down to Schenectady autobody supply On State St ( across the street from Mohawk Honda ) . They will make you spray cans with any color you can pick out of their color chip books. Or you can get your factory color and just spray what you need to. You can even get Chromalusion paint in spray cans. But, paint is probably cheaper at Walmart.

desertrat302

Loc.
Tucson,Az
I used to have a desert beater Toyota 4x4 that I painted with Home Depot's cheapest latex.
And a roller. ;D Wouldn't do that to a Bronco though.

OP
OP
D

DJM75

Loc.
Washougal
I would much rather get a nice paint job, but it will depend on finances at the time. I hope to shave some cost off the job by striping the Bronco down and doing as much of the sanding as I can. How much does a decent paint job cost at your shop anyway?<br> Don

merciless

Loc.
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe one of them cheap electric paint sprayers like the wagners or harbor freight $25 bucks and some enamel paint.<br><br>It would prolly be more consistent than the can and faster too. I bet you could get a nice looking job at 10footer distance :)

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Believe it or not you can get a pretty decent job at Maaco for $249 if you prep the truck yourself and take off all the little stuff you don't want paint on. By the time you buy spray can primer, paint, tape, masking paper to do a spraycan job you will have half of the $249 spent.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
If you want to go the cheap route and still spray it yourself , find a tractor supply store and get a gallon of tractor paint . It is more durable than auto paint and when was the last time you saw someone waxing their tractor . Some of the newer farm equipment have metalflake paint and there are more choices than just your plain green ,red, blue and yellow .

Loc.
Speedwell TN
i battled with the spray can idea for a while but folks on this site talked me into a pressure spray device from home depot or such store. i went that route and would advize you to do the same. the job was really better than i hoped for and quick. it took longer to tape it off than paint it. just remember, temps need to be above 60 for most enamals and if your gonna paint in the 60s use tolene as a thinner. good luck

OP
OP
D

DJM75

Loc.
Washougal
[quote author=75 link=board=5;threadid=11775;start=15#86901 date=1038575498]<br> a pressure spray device from home depot or such store. [/quote]<br><br>What do you mean? Are you talking about an electric sprayer? Or a spray gun for an aircompressor?<br> Don

Loc.
Speedwell TN
it was one that works with compressed air and is a campbell hosfield. questionable spelling. it has a quart bucket on the bottom instead of top fed. the bottom line is, any compressed air spayer is gonna do a better job than cans, cheaper in the long run-it takes a lot of cans, and much much faster to apply. if you have further questions i will try to help. bill

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Rustoleum. I've got 12 cans in the wings and starting to collect primer (also rustoleum). If you take the time to sand it down and take the dings out, you can come up with a pretty decent paint job. <br><br>Maaco would be the second choice and it's not much more than the spray can route. Sometimes they have a $149 special. You still have to do the prep work before taking it to maaco. Good Luck!!!<br><br>snake

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
I will second that one....<br>Rustoleum Especially their Hard Hat line !!!!!<br>I have used it with amazing results from a spray can....<br>I sprayed parts of my bronco when I first got it with little or no prep and was amazed .......<br>With a little effort I think you could do a decent job...<br>That is what I am gonna do <br>It is easy to fix and holds up great.<br>If you want a show job save your $ but this works for a cheapo way to look lots better....<br><br>Chris<br>