• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spray Painting

Baja42

Loc.
McLean, VA
Alright guys, I kind of have a loaded question, but any advice will be greatly apprecatied.

I am in the process of spray painting the top to my bronco. I picked up the top from the guy who sand blasted it this morning, and then cleaned and sanded down the top with a 180/220 grit sandpaper to make it smoother. I have the top ready, and I went to test the spray gun we have and found that I wasn't getting a constant spray. The spray gun would sputter sometimes when held at full trigger. When I was getting the paint to come out, I was having a hard time to get a smooth line of paint to be laid down on the test peice of metal.

Now the spray gun we are using is about 20 years old - but hasn't ever been used. - its in good conidition. But are there any generic suggestions on what my problem may be other than experience and equipment? Are there certain tips that should be used. I have an external mixer cap on the gun now which is what i was told to use. Are there adjusts I can make to make this work? Thanks for any information and hopefully at the end of this project I might have learned something (possibly don't try to paint at home without a garage, in NC with 60% humitity) - Thanks

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Baja42 said:
Alright guys, I kind of have a loaded question, but any advice will be greatly apprecatied.

I am in the process of spray painting the top to my bronco. I picked up the top from the guy who sand blasted it this morning, and then cleaned and sanded down the top with a 180/220 grit sandpaper to make it smoother. I have the top ready, and I went to test the spray gun we have and found that I wasn't getting a constant spray. The spray gun would sputter sometimes when held at full trigger. When I was getting the paint to come out, I was having a hard time to get a smooth line of paint to be laid down on the test peice of metal.

Now the spray gun we are using is about 20 years old - but hasn't ever been used. - its in good conidition. But are there any generic suggestions on what my problem may be other than experience and equipment? Are there certain tips that should be used. I have an external mixer cap on the gun now which is what i was told to use. Are there adjusts I can make to make this work? Thanks for any information and hopefully at the end of this project I might have learned something (possibly don't try to paint at home without a garage, in NC with 60% humitity) - Thanks

Off the top of my head, I would say check the following things:

1) Paint is well mixed and not too thick.
2) Check that the lid on your canister is well sealed (Is it Gravity Feed HVLP?)
3) Check that paint pathways within the gun are clean and clear of debris (dried paint or dirt)
4) Make sure your compressor is set the to correct continuous pressure for that type of gun.
5) Do you have a in-line water collector on your compressor?
6) Does your gun have an atomizer setting? Try adjusting that.

Again - just things you might want to check. Some may not apply to your situation. Good luck..

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Yes That Was My Thought Also ....add More Thinner Or Reducer ...what Ever Product You've Got.......
...papitt......

CRZA1

Loc.
Albuquerque
The non HVLP guns are pretty tough to use or maintain. A gun 20 years old of that style would probably be impossible. I picked up a HVLP at harbor freight for like $50, and have painted three vehicles, including my bronco with it. Cheap and when you kep it clean they last a long time. Well worth the money and not much money at that.