• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stainless steel brake line help!

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Hey guys, I just spent over $300 on stainless steel brak and fuel lines, plus a bender and flaring tool. I spent most of the day trying to get my rear brake line bent just perfect on the rear end(one side). When I try to tighten the nuts the whole line twists before I've gotten the nut tight. I've made a complete mess out of my perfect line and I'm not real confident it's sealed.

What in the &&@&$ am I doing wrong?my double flares look right I guess. I saw on one post someone was using some kind of extra fittings. These are supposed to attach right to the hoses and wheel cylinders aren't they? What do I need to do? This stuff is too costly to keep screwing it up plus I can't find a local source for it so I have to keep ordering it.

This job is really kicking my butt. I hate fooling with this stuff. I wish I could just buy the preformed stuff but I'm running my lines down the top of the frame rail, my front end has a waisted axle housing, and my rear end has bc axle rockers( u bolts are farther apart) . I can't even find a source that has straight line so I have to try and straighten the dang line before I can even start bending it.

Thanks for your help guys! I need it!

KBUCK1

Are you trying to tighten the one end completely before the other end is attached at all? If so, attach both ends first and then tighten, I used some of the coiled stainless and had the same issues. Its a pain. The aluminized brake lines are 10 times easier to work with than the stainless. Also, you'll have to tighten and loosen and re tighten those stainless lines 3 to 4 times to get them to seal completely. At least I did. Good luck

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I bought pre-bent stainless lines for our 67 and had a heck of a time trying to get the connections to seal. That crap is hard. Found tightening the nuts, loosening them, and re-tightening them seemed to work for some reason. Good luck!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also, lube the nut part inside that touched the flare, and lube the flare, and lube the threads. Not gobs.

However, I gave up on stainless, nothing but trouble long term. Aluminized stock is far superior.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Are you trying to tighten the one end completely before the other end is attached at all? If so, attach both ends first and then tighten, I used some of the coiled stainless and had the same issues. Its a pain. The aluminized brake lines are 10 times easier to work with than the stainless. Also, you'll have to tighten and loosen and re tighten those stainless lines 3 to 4 times to get them to seal completely. At least I did. Good luck

Yea I had the whole line on clamped and everything before I started tightening. It still torqued the whole line.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
I wish I had known how bad this was gonna be before I bought $300+ for this crap.

Are the fuel lines this bad too? I know they are bigger.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Ok I'll try they. Like I said I. Desperate. Do you think at this point of failure I may have ruined the hoses or wheel cylinders or the flare?

And are the bigger lines easier or worse?

Thanks