• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stange issue anybody got any ideas?

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
Just finished replacing sheet metal including going back with uncut rear quarters and when I went to put the gas caps back on the original rear tank cap fit fine but the replacement aux tank cap spins all the way around. It was on the bronco before just doesn't seem to fit now. It fit both rear and aux filler tubes before now it spins on either one.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
does it lock on and still spin like a medication safety cap or can u still pull it off with out unthreading it? Maybe its defective or the sheet metal is keeping it from going down all the way to wear it needs to lock?

Digger556

That's odd. Do you have the right cap?

7598_8213_popup.jpg

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Like Digger suggest, there are long and short caps. If you replaced the filler tubes you may have opposite of what you had before.

OP
OP
SteveC

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
It's weird. I'm using the original filler tubes and the cap worked fine before. I know it's the correct cap. I can pry up the metal ring under the rubber gasket and it pops out and when I put on it almost gets tight but the metal ring tin cans back and its to big again. I can only see a small part of the cork gasket under the metal ring. All I did was put it aside while the work was going on. Something happened to it. I have no idea. The original cap fits both necks fine.

OP
OP
SteveC

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
does it lock on and still spin like a medication safety cap or can u still pull it off with out unthreading it? Maybe its defective or the sheet metal is keeping it from going down all the way to wear it needs to lock?

It spins like a medicine top. I have to line up the ears with the grooves in in the neck to get it off. It goes to deep in the neck and goes beyond the locks on the filler neck.

It's like the rubber gasket is missing but the gasket is there.

Weird!!