• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter / Flywheel Experts - Step on in!!

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Gang,

Over the last few days I have been dealing with a problem which I now know is the starter. However, after replacing the old unit, I'm hearing some crazy whining going on with the new starter. I pulled it 3 times and re-seated it (thinking maybe it wasn't on enough or correctly) and every time I started her up, I get this grind/whine thing. I find, however, that when I let off the clutch after I start her up, everything is cool and all "bad" noises go away. She idles perfectly, but when started, I get that grind/whine thing, that's when I let off the clutch and everything is alright. Also, when I engage the clutch back in after its started, there are no problems, it's just the initial start up. Also, I have inspected the inside of the new starter after each pulling and there are no metal shavings or anything such as that inside of it.

My guess to the problem is that the fly wheel has been chewed up on the edge (see pix). This causes the grinding/whining on the initial turnover, but when the starter sprocket fully engages into the fly wheel, that’s when things settle down and it seats properly.

I really want to take a test drive but I'm afraid that something is really wrong, I mean, that sound isn't anything good! Did I miss a step installing the new starter? Could my fly wheel be screwed? If so, that’s probably a job best left to a professional, correct?

ANY help is greatly appreciated!

starter_02.gif

flywheel_01.jpg

flywheel_02.jpg

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Not able to hear or feel it I would think you had a bad bendex on the last starter and it buggered the teeth and I would think it mite be noiseie untill you get a new ring gear. I would just drive it untill I was readey to replace the ring gear. When you want to replace the ring gear just pull the fly wheel and if you have a torch just heet and tap with a hammer and it will come off. You can get a new one at the parts house and lay it on the fly wheel and heet and tap on let cool and put fly wheel back on and good to go good luck.:p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP
Slumlord

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the tips, Wildbill...

I would just drive it untill I was readey to replace the ring gear.
Do you think that driving it would cause problems to the new starter? Meaning, do you think that it could possibly wear the teeth down since it isn't gripping properly on the initial start?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
ditto and yeah the new starter may get some wear on the teeth it shouldn't cause any major problems didn't you say in an earlier post that you had the lifetime warentee you could always take it back and get a new one when you get the ring gear.