• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter Grinding --- Fixed--

meathead

Loc.
Keystone heights
Guys,
I have just completed my C-4 swap and started it up today but the starter sounds like a cat in a blender. I bought a reman auto started. The flex plate is the correct one. Any ideas what could be causing this noise? The noise stops when the motor starts. I pulled the starter and did not see any signs of damage or metal chips. I did a search and came across starter shims. How can I tell if I need shims? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited:

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Is the flywheel worn enough that the teeth are skipping? Could the flywheel be loose? Bell housing or flywheel warped? It sounds like it isn't lining up correctly or enough. Like you found the shims just moved it farther out position. I also see you did the auto swap. Is it the right flywheel or flexplate for the auto? Also make sure it's the right bell housing. They have different sizes for the auto tranny.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
The operative words here are ,"A cat in a blender". You have mixed up the flywheels or bell housings. Easy fix is the drive out of a tempo desiel starter, in your present starter, should cure the problem. I have yet to ever here the noise, but have heard described as a cat in a blender at least a dozen times. Call me at the shop tomorrow and I will dig up the drive (pinion, bendix, gear) number for you.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Sorry, I thought it was in my signature. My number is 1-888-214-7774, shop is open from 8am to 5pm East Coast. I am closing at 9:30am tomorrow so I can attand the Canadian Fastest Streetcar Shootout. I will try and dig the drive number up and post it here, but if I forget phone me. (I am at home right now)

OP
OP
M

meathead

Loc.
Keystone heights
Fixed

Got it fixed. The problem was the engine backing plate. The hole for the starter was very tight. I enlarged the hole about 1/6 and the noise is gone. Thanks for all your help guys!!!!!