• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help with grinding starter

OP
OP
S

sweetone

Loc.
illinois
stumped

ok changed the flywheel put starter on started just fine been running good for a few weeks then the other day went to start it and now its the same old problem the starter grinds and grinds it my start after a few grinding epesoides but now back to grinding so now im stumped i cant keep changing flywheels and the starter check out just fine like always

any sugestions

thanks

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Got me. Email me sva-sales@worldchat.com , with your hometown. My thought is for you to take the truck into someone and have them look at it. I can ask around and find out who is really good in your area. That way they find the problem and you don't get a bill for six hours of someone scratching their head.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
If your cables, solenoid and ground cables are not in good shape or have a poor connection, they will cause resistance. This will not allow your starter to draw enough amperage to supply the magnetic field that actually engauges the starter drive yoke. If the magnetic field is weak the starter drive gear will not properly engage thus causing the gear to make a loud zipping noise. When I put #2 Gauge cables on my bronco, all these problems went away, and the motor has never turned over faster when I'm cranking it.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
sweetone said:
i have allready replaced all the cables and solenoid

thanks
Do you have a good tight ground connection from the (-) side of the battery to the engine block?
After cranking it, feel the full length of cables for any signs of heat. If they are not cool to the touch, tighten the connection or replace them with thicker #2 gauge cables. Don't route any cables close to exhaust manifolds or pipes either, this will cause heat related resistance problems as well.

OP
OP
S

sweetone

Loc.
illinois
starter

i changed the starter cable to a 2 gage and the battery cables to 4 gage put starter back in styed to start it
the first three times it wined about three sec and then started right over then tryed to start again and it grinded a bit then started.. now i go out to start the thing and and it just grinds and when i turn the key in the of pos the starter still wines had to diconnect the battery

any one got any answers i coul put to use here oh and now i cant get the key out

thanks

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
sweetone said:
i changed the starter cable to a 2 gage and the battery cables to 4 gage put starter back in styed to start it
the first three times it wined about three sec and then started right over then tryed to start again and it grinded a bit then started.. now i go out to start the thing and and it just grinds and when i turn the key in the of pos the starter still wines had to diconnect the battery

any one got any answers i coul put to use here oh and now i cant get the key out

thanks
Did you get my last email? The only thing we could think to try was the 10tooth drive out of the Tempo Diesel. Your regular drive is a 9tooth. It is a trick most commonly used to cure a "cat in a blender sound". But at this point I would think it is your next step.

Also is it possible that the grinding noise is more of a rat-a-tat-tat sound, very loud. If so I would suspect a poor ground. Try taking a booster cable lead from the neg terminal on the battery down to the body of the starter. If it cures the problem, you have a ground path issue.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
RRRAAAYYY2 said:
Without the picture of the marks or one of the starters, I don't know if I can do much more. Another thing I got thinking about is crankshaft end play. It is possible, seen maybe two or three times, that the rear bearings are gone or really worn. This could cause the problem as well. (Depending on where exactly the marks are. ) Even if you cannot get a close up of the pinion, label it with a marker or hand draw a sketch.
Want to touch on this again. I was speaking to my stepfather about another customer having a similar problem. He mentioned a crankshaft thrust bearing being really common for wearing out. The motor will run fine, but the crank can move back and forth in the block. So check this while you have it apart. This very well could be where the grinding marks are coming from. But a bad ring gear will do it as well.
As for your flywheel replacement, with all the issues with these motors, I would look at going OE.

stlkikn

OE+ original equipment... IE factory FORD parts.
One other thing to check, and I have seen it before...
Are you using the factory starter bolts?
Do they have a shoulder that fits tightly into the bolt holes?
If the bolts don't fit just right, the starter may work for a couple of starts, and then it can shift, causing the grinding.

OP
OP
S

sweetone

Loc.
illinois
thanks

thanks for the info

i called ford and no no longer carry the part i need (dust cover) and ive called every junk yard around here and they dont have one either but my hopes are high..

is it true that the dust cover has to be on the bellhousing for the starter to bolt right cause ford said it has to be on there..

thanks again

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
I don't know for sure about the dust cover, and the original manufacturer can be wrong, but I would give them the benefit of doubt that they are right.

As for the flywheel, keep looking or go aftermarket as you might not have any choice. If you go aftermarket, what ever you do not get something that was not made in Canada or the United States. You might also be able to find NOS (New Old Stock) at a dealer some where. The part may be obsolete, that doesn't mean there are not Ford Dealers out there that have had one sitting on their shelves for 20 years.

OP
OP
S

sweetone

Loc.
illinois
running

thanks every one for all your help
its up and running now. i ended up changing the ring gear againg and i found a dust shield of a automatic that wored just fine..
she runs great now..

i do have one question while running there is white smoke and water comming out the tail pipe ive even let it sit and run for about thirty min then give a bit of gas and still i get warter and smoke is this ok..

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Not generally, but you will get a better response of possible problems by putting up a new thread about it. It is a different subject that I know I am no expert on. So with the new thread you will attract someone that may have answers about it, but not about starters.