• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter hangup

mark s

I'm working with a 94' 5.8 in a 73 with the c4, I'm using the starter from the 94'. I jumped from the starter terminal to the blade terminal on the starter solinoid per tech article http://www.azbronco.org/tech02.htm. The problem is after startup the starter stays engaged for a second or two after startup. So far I've changed out the starter, and solinoid but has made no difference. Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated . Thanks

cynrays

You might try to put a thin washer behind the starter bolts between the starter and and where it mounts. It may be kicking in to far... Worth a try

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Bridge the 1/4 terminal directly to the starter wire on the starter. The problem could be the coil backfeeding through the start wire on the solenoid if it is not constantly hung up.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
I posted on this awhile ago, as it was something new to me last year. If you have a jumper wire going from the solenoid on the starter to the starter main battery, like MG suggests and installs from the factory, remove it.
Then take the big power wire going to the starter from the dead side of the fenderwall solenoid and put it on the battery side of the fender wall solenoid. (Just change sides) Then make a 10ga wire up to go from the dead side of the fender wall solenoid to the spade terminal of the starters solenoid.
This should solve your problem.

OP
OP
M

mark s

starter hangup resolved

RRRAAAYYY2 said:
I posted on this awhile ago, as it was something new to me last year. If you have a jumper wire going from the solenoid on the starter to the starter main battery, like MG suggests and installs from the factory, remove it.
Then take the big power wire going to the starter from the dead side of the fenderwall solenoid and put it on the battery side of the fender wall solenoid. (Just change sides) Then make a 10ga wire up to go from the dead side of the fender wall solenoid to the spade terminal of the starters solenoid.
This should solve your problem.

It worked just as you explained.. Thank You!