• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

starter not engaging?

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
My starter has not been engaging. It has been winding...after about the 10th time it will engage. I took the starter off today, and found metal filings inside...looked to be wearing a little. Anyone have any ideas what was going on? I also have what seems to be a rear main seal leak, and dirtying up near the starter, someone suggested my starter might just be dirty, and to give it a cleaning and try that. Anyway, i replaced the started, seems to work fine so far, just don't want it to go like the last one.

Amac70

ME
sounds like the solinoid is going bad on it or is just sticking maybe due to dirt. mine does the same thing but if i go wack it a few times with a hamer it gets freed up and will engage it again. but hell starters are cheap like 30 bucks for a new one. but im cheap i just carry a hammer.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
If it is spinning and not engaging, it is more than likely the starter drive. It could also be the ring gear, but my guess is it is the starter drive. Remove the starter and replace the drive. This should be of minimal cost.
You should also do the math depending on your mechanical skills. It may be wise just to get a new starter and not mess with the drive. If you need adice on how to replace the starter drive I would suggest you get the starter and forget about the drive change.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p If it will spin every time just not engage the motor then you need a new bendex it go's on the front of the starter the last one I got was 10.00 real easy to replace good luck.%) %) %) Bill 8) %) :p