• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting a 302 that's been sitting awhile...

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
History:

Bought this early bronco 4 years ago. Removed the 302. Replaced the oil pump and shaft. Replaced the seals and gaskets.

During the past 4 years it has sat, unstarted, as we built a new bronco around it. We're now at a point where we can start it up.

Is there anything I should do, other than just turn the key, considering it's been sitting 4 years without running?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
maybe a shot of oil in each cylinder wont hurt anything might cause a lil smoke

that or turn it w/o the coil wire to get the juices folowin before you start it

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
prime oil pump to get oil presure up. I would also add some oil to each cylinder and rotate the motor by hand to lube the cylinders on intial start up and to make sure you dont have any thing hung up and dry.

joel

Pull the plugs, or not, and crank until the oil pressure comes up. Fire in the hole!

OP
OP
amc78cj7

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI

Funny as hell. The title is almost exactly the same as my thread.

Thanks for the 411 guys. I'll prime the pump, check it by hand, turn it over without the distributor, then try firing it up.

I also read on another forum that the 302 flywheel mounting holes go all the way into the block and unless you use thread sealer on the flywheel mounting bolts it will leak oil there. Anyone ever hear of this? It was about 2 years ago that we put the clutch and 435 tranny on. I can't remember if I put sealer on the bolts (I probably put lock-tite on them, but not necessarily RTV), but that beast is heavy so I hope I don't have to pull it...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
+1 on this.

Never fix something til it's broke.;D

You gotta be a Govt. Employee to do that.%)

If it ain't broke, fawk with it until it is! At least I think that's the lesson my ole pappy tried to teach me...%)