• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

starting problem need help

jimmymac

I have a 77 bronco with a 302. Starts fine but after running a while after I turn it off sometimes it won't start.It turns over but won't start after several tries battery goes down. It will start with a jump easily.Last time this happend was on a wednesday it would not start after running around. I pushed it in the garage and left it till the following Monday and it started up without a jump.I also have replaced the coil but thats not it.

1970WagonKY

Loc.
Winchester, KY
Have your alternator tested. Sounds like your battery is getting drained when you are running and it builds its charge back up after it "rests."

OP
OP
J

jimmymac

sorry,i don't know anthing about this stuff ( just love broncos ) but can a battery charge up by just sitting there

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
jimmymac said:
sorry,i don't know anthing about this stuff ( just love broncos ) but can a battery charge up by just sitting there
They will get enough charge sometimes to start if the starting system is in good shape.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
Battery could be weak (one or more dead cells) and not retaining a full charge. If it draws down after only several tries it doesnt sound very healthy/strong.

If after it runs and reaches operating temp, it turns over slowly or makes noise, the starter could also be the culprit.

Ignition module could be on it's way out.

Could be a combination of things also.

Need more info. After running, does it spin free?........does it still fire? etc

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
It is a heat related issue. It might also be the battery but not likely. I would check the cables going from the battery to the solenoid and then from the solenoid to the starter. If they are brand new they might be ok. Typically they came undersized from the factory, and once they have aged a little bit, they have excessive voltage drop.
The cables are not likely the only problem. With your discription I would bet dollars to donuts that your starter is faulty. When it doesn't start are you getting a RRRRRRRR, spinning but not as fast as it normally spins? If so, starter is puked.

Leaving batteries to sit does not charge them back up. What you have experienced is equalization of sorts. When you take a high load off a battery it will appear to recharge itself. i.e. If you put a draw on a battery it will go down to say 8 volts. Then when you stop it might immediately go back to 10volts, then slowly climb back upto its correct power level. This happens in about 10-15 minutes. It is not recharging but sort of redistributing its power. power it already had.
If you place a battery in storage that is not 100% fully charged, it will actually discharge and flatten itself over time. (1-6 months)

1970WagonKY

Loc.
Winchester, KY
Have it tested

Go to advance, autozone, etc. and have them test your alt and battery. The will tell you which it is, if any.

I had the same thing happen to me and had to replace the alt. Luckily Ford used the same alt on everything and the stock unit is cheap. $30-40 for one w/ a life-time warranty.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
Ignition module can caus intermittant starting problems.

I just found that out yesterday as mine would crank but not start. Then for no reason at all it would fire up and run strong. Then I would go to start it and it would crank, but not start again.

I replaced the ignition module and it fires up right away now. It was only $22.99 at Checker Auto Parts.

Good luck.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
clean contacts on the battery and cables. have battery tested. then have the charging system tested (all free at schucks). It cannot hurt to start with the cheap and easy first.

how are your cables? any swelling at the ends? are they shiny still or corroded.

nevetheless get the system checked for free....

OP
OP
J

jimmymac

thanks for the advice. had battery checked out it's good.autozone said i had to take out alt for them to check ? found someone who will check it on truck have not got there yet.probably won't get there till saturday.i put a meter on the bat get around 1250 when just sitting while cranking does not drop below 950. idles at about 1300.have a holley carb pulled out bolt on side ? nothing comes out while running.this motor was rebuilt and has low miles on it since. an old school mechanic said going by what i say on the phone and without seeing it sounds like i need a high torque starter,thinks motor is tight. going to try to check timing tomorrow if i get a light.if it doesn't get fixed soon might be posting it in classifieds, just kidding.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
HotWheels said:
If u need a starter or alternator get RRAAYY2 (fellow lister here) stuff...top shelf.
Amen brother HotWheels amen.

By the way, Ray, that "little" starter turns the big 355 without working up a sweat!!
TOFIC